Cherokee power window failures...has yours failed yet?

Just bought my third power window assembly (3 failures in 2 Cherokees). All because an engineer tried to save a nickel and used plastic where metal was required. All 3 failed exactly the same. Chrysler denies that this is a design problem, even though replacement assemblies ($105.00) use a re-designed metal component.

Am I alone here? Chrysler keeps ignoring me, but perhaps a response from a large group of irritated owners would have more impact.

Write me at snipped-for-privacy@gamewood.net if you've had the same problem.

And if your 1998-2000 - ? Cherokee hasn't experienced this failure...IT WILL!

Reply to
Gerald Cooper

Given D-C's usual response to irritated owners is to ignore them, I'm thinking that your best bet is to either learn to live with "revenue enhancing" design or decide to buy a different maker's automobiles. I'm not being snarky, I just don't think you'll get any satisfaction.

Need I say more than "sun burned paint"?

Gerald Co> Just bought my third power window assembly (3 failures in 2 Cherokees).

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

I would be interested in knowing what specifically is happening. I have a 1997 & 2003.

Jerry

Reply to
Whitaker43

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Clap Trap

VW owners went through the same "cost reduced" plastic window regulators. The only thing automakers know is a class action suit. They were charging owners like mad making many boat/plane payments untill the suit. Now they are covered for seven years and with reciepts all that were charged got refunds. But it took lawyers. Why can't they own up to their blunders?

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

You guys need to remember to roll the windows up when you park....

Mike

Clap Trap wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Gerald Cooper

Bill,

I'd agree but I was witness to all 3 failures. (One was in a snow storm. Cherokee owners should ALWAYS carry a roll of packaging tape to hold the window up WHEN this happens. I was lucky, and happened to have a roll in the Jeep.)

In response to the previous poster's question, the elevator is a plastic cog (maybe a nylon type) that engages the spiral lift wire, and pulls the window up/down. The replacement is expensive because you have to buy the entire assembly, motor and all, to replace what is probably a 20 cent piece. All three replacements I have bought ($105) use a re-designed metal element.

Save your old ones, I'm working on a field fix that avoids having to pay the pirates.

Gerald

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Gerald Cooper

Reply to
Gerald Cooper

Is this where Bill should jump in and say "REAL Jeeps don't have no stinkin' windows."

Reply to
Billy Ray

I see window control failures all the time around here because we have sudden thunderstorms. It goes from clear to pissing in seconds.

The water comes in the window, gets into the switch, then the switch arcs out and melts the plastic case so it falls apart or just quits.

Our old roommate killed both door switches that way on his 92 Cherokee. They were fine, but he left the windows open too much and 6 months after buying it, they both melted out. He had started to melt the second switch when he left us, may he RIP.

Mike

Gerald Co>

Reply to
Mike Romain

By all accounts of Bill, REAL JEEPS don't have much of anything..lol

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

He does have that picture what shows only a jeep frame and steering gear. No body, tires, seats, or motor!

Not sure how well it gets around but it is a REAL Jeep!

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Rant on....

Of course, all of this could be avoided if the manual passenger side window could be operated by the driver without going into Park (or netural and the parking brake for manual transmissions) and removing your seatbelt.

You could do that in every other car I've ever driven, except my 92 XJ. It is for that reason alone that on my next (and current) XJ I insisted on power windows. It was and remains my first and only vehichle with power windows (with the exception of station wagon tailgate windows).

Sure, it's nice to be able to do the back seat windows as well, but overall, I'm one who tends to be of the "I don't need that" camp for such things.

The power door locks are nice, but also annoying in that they lock and unlock when you start or stop the engine. Why on earth would I want all five doors to unlock everytime I shut off the engine? Who came up with that bright idea? Stalin?

Rant off...

DAve

Reply to
DaveW

You can turn that feature off.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Really? How?

DAve

Billy Ray wrote:

Reply to
DaveW

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

On my WJ it is one of the options you can configure with the overhead console.

Reply to
Billy Ray