2007 Unlimited Spotted

This afternoon I finally spotted one in motion, 'metallic-pea-green' and everything. Yes, the infamous '07 Unlimited is apparantly on the road already. And I will not sleep well tonight.

It is even more hideous than the photos. Sadly, it doesn't look anything like a classic Jeep Wrangler. I'm afraid that a wonderful era in history has passed before my very eyes.

I pulled up at a stoplight on my way from work and this THING pulled up next to me. At first, I thought it was a fugly H3 or something, but to my surprise, it was an '07 Unlimited. The windows were down and the salesman was chatting away with the mark, and I couldn't resist a barb or two.

I said HI to the salesdroid, then asked him, "Honestly, wouldn't you sleep better knowing you sold that gentleman a nice '05 or '06 Unlimited like this one, instead of that monstrosity?" He laughed it off and waved, as expected.

I then noticed that the customer was a mean-faced, middle-aged woman with big hair and an attitude.

God help us all.

Reply to
Outatime

I could not agree more. I was in a left-turn lane in my YJ today waiting for an opening to turn and I saw one drive by in the opposite direction. I was so busy trying not to cry that I missed an opening to turn and two people behind me honked. Jeez, the thing is awful.

Reply to
Micah

Quite possibly the mean face and attitude was caused by an unsolicited rude comment about a vehicle she was interested in purchasing to please her, and not you.

YJ, TJ, and now whatever J this model is, all had/have their fair share of people jumping up to claim they had seen the "end of an era". Funny how many buyers these monstrosities ended up finding.

Different strokes and all that, eh?

Reply to
Tom Greening

It's a TK I think.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

While I agree with everyone's comments, I heard all of the same comments in

1997 when the TJ was released.

Rob

Reply to
Nospam

Nope, don't get it ! Explain please ?

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Aah. Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

Wasn't the TJ an improvement over the YJ?

Reply to
billy ray

I'd say that DC has their demographic studies honed to a science. I could never, EVER buy something that ugly.

Upon reflection, I'd have to say the female and the '07 Unlimited were a very good match. One never knows when they may have to traverse a tricky, deep pothole on the way to the Bingo parlor.

Reply to
Outatime

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

What changed in 97? I know about square headlights to round, and coil springs instead of leafs, both changes I could take or leave.

Now however, we are faced with a Hummer clone and minivan engine. I may warm to the PT-like interior, but never the Unlimited's body design, and the jury's still out on the engine. I seriously doubt it will EVER prove to be as durable at the 4.0's.

Reply to
Outatime

Reply to
billy ray
*whining and snivelling snipped*

There have been a few in these parts, the four doors. I think they are kind of cool. I stopped and looked at one on the local lot and the guys were in it checking it out, They tried to convince me I should trade mine in, I told them it wasn't my type of rig, nice but not for me.

I would not go buy one as a replacement vehicle for my TJ but if I needed a four door anything, oh hell yea, I'd run out and get one right now.

They have a lot of options for comfort, though I have not driven one they appear to be comfortable on the inside and I like the look of them. ESPECIALLY the black and the green.

No, they aren't the classic look that everyone has become accustomed to, but they are a damn fine looking rig.

Sadly, all things must change or they become stagnant.

Oh AND The two I have seen on the road so far, have been driven by 40 something white males... so much for stereotypes.

Kate (a mean faced middle aged woman with a TJ - HAAH!)

Reply to
Kate

If tehe engine is anything like the one in the Liberty, it may not be a good thing. The libby needed more suds for it'ws weight. I would have liked to have seen this larger rig come with a small V8 or some REAL horsepower.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Agreed. Some people just don't like change. Just goes to show, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Funny

Especially from serious off-roaders. With every Wrangler model, the majority never see pavement, that's not a recent concept. The fact that one person saw one potential buyer that probably won't use it off road, he's decided it's unfit for public sale. Time will tell.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

The TJ's introduction of coils springs has been the single most important development in the Wrangler line in terms of overall off-road performance and on-road manners. Even if Bill doesn't think so. Lots of "purists" deplored the idea, but in the last 10 years the TJ has been made the new benchmark for off-road prowess. A lot of the things we, as users, have done with their TJ's to make them more capable have found their way into the KJ: longer control arms, a way to disconnect the front sway bar, etc.

Wifey's actually trading her 04 TJL for a KJL. It makes sense for us, we have three kids and the seating for 5 means we can all go off-roading in the same vehicle when the kids get bigger. I have her convinced to wait at least until '08 because new models always have bugs. And there is a rumor that the '08 may have a diesel mill available, which piques my interest.

If we'd all get off the "what you run" bandwag>

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo