cont: 79 CJ5 with 258 cylinder head bolts

here is are the main parts for the conversion I am doing.

Clearwater 4.0 HO conversion head Clifford exhaust header Clifford 258-4.0 conversion intake header Holley 390

I need a new exhaust muffler, having it custom built.

Any tips on what muffler to use ?

(I want it to work in the first place of course, but I don't want it to sound like a tractor, or to be real loud.. just a nice somewhat aggressive low sound. )

Reply to
csdude

I like Gibson.

Reply to
DougW

You can hear the Gibson on my site.

That's not being in the throttle though, just startup/shutdown and prior to doing the banks header which opened it up a bit more.

The gibson is a free-flow unit (a glassless glass-pack) so you get the cherry-bomb sound, but not quite a loud as the cherry's.

Reply to
DougW

I use a Dynomax high flow 'superturbo' muffler. I am on my 3rd one in

11 years or so. They come with a lifetime warranty. :-)

The sound is really nice and throaty when you get on the go pedal. Nice enough that folks have asked if I had a V8 in there after listening to it going up sand pit walls.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

I have heard about that one before , does the warranty include 'severe battle scars' ?

Reply to
csdude

They didn't blink over mine and it had a few dings. The warranty comes into play when they rot out and the normal place for that is where the pipes go in and out, not the body of the unit.

I even ballooned one out that they didn't blink over when I froze up my carb and had way too much raw gas going in. I was shooting 3' flames out the tailpipe until I got to my destination.

The last one they got kinda bitchy about and said they couldn't install it because their computer insisted the CJ7 had to have a catalytic converter in there which is total bullshit (Canadian CJ7's are Utility vehicles that did not come with nor need a cat to pass emissions) and their current tech didn't know how to just make a straight pipe without the computer telling the machine what to do. They were clueless idiots that all got fired shortly after that incident and the owner closed the shop.

Meanwhile, they gave me that last muffler free and it still has a lifetime warranty card with it. I put a patch on the front pipe.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain