Convert the XJ Cherokee to 4WD ? and/or keep the Wrangler ?

I have two Jeeps - a '2000 2-Wheel drive XJ Cherokee with about 60K miles, and an '88 Wrangler with about 250K miles that needs lots of work including an engine overhaul.

I bought the XJ Cherokee new in 2000 when I lived in Florida, no need for

4WD with no snow. Now I live in Oregon, wish I had it.

My first thought is, sell the old Wrangler, use the proceeds to buy the necessary pieces from a junkyard to convert the cherokee to 4WD. HOWEVER - A friend in the hills of Tennessee that has a 4WD XJ says, NO, the XJ with 4WD isn't that good in the snow anyway - too light for it's size - I'd be better of leaving my XJ as 2WD and fix up the Wrangler for the bad days that the XJ can't handle.

Anybody here have an opinion ? Is a Wrangler indeed vastly superior to a 4WD XJ in Ice and Snow ?

Thanks for any advice.

- FM -

Reply to
Fred Mau

About the XJ and snow ... mine (command-trak, open differentials) handles very well and is a lot of fun to drive in the snow PROVIDED I use snow tires and provided they don't exceed 225. My michelin 235/75s (granted, cross terrains and not a snow tire) are too wide giving that uncomfortable floating feeling ... whereas my good old middle of the road goodyear ultragrip 225/75s are just fine. And the XJ's 4.0 litre gives off very decent heat on cold days, and the cab helps keeps it in, and, well, to sum up ... I like my XJ much better than my now departed '90 subaru legacy awd ... even in the snow.

Reply to
Bowgus

I can tell you right off the bat that you don't want to do the running gear swap to convert the 2WD to 4WD. Even if you had a complete donor vehicle sitting next to the 2WD you are talking about major amounts of work and lots of gotchas - like ring gear and pinon ratios, driveshafts, cross members, etc. etc.

I looked at that for an older XJ and gave it up as a bad idea pretty fast.

Reply to
Will Honea

A friend and I tried to do the conversion and while it looks staight forward, you would have to ensure you had the exact (not close enough but exact) 4wd version or nothing will work. Parts houses won't be willing to sell that one... part you are missing unless you take the hole assembly. To do it you will need to replace the entire drivetrain. My suggestion is to sell the 2wd and but a 4wd.

Reply to
ephines

Hi Fred,

Because the YJ has a shorter wheel base than the XJ, it is more prone to spin out on ice and snow. Also, XJ is available with the 'Selec-Trac' full-time 4x4 transfer case with a center differential. Gives you the convenience of staying in 4x4 on dry, wet, or intermittently snowed roads without risking windup damage that can occur in a part-time 4x4 system where there is too much traction.

Sell the 2WD XJ, and look for another with the full-time 4x4. Buy a set of proper snow tires like Blizzaks or Nokians and get them studded. Consider having a limited slip differential installed in the rear and possibly the front too.

Steve

Fred Mau wrote:

Reply to
Steve

I agree with this advice completely. Much better off sellig 2wd and buying a 4wd.

NT

Reply to
Hey There