dana control box?

i have an 88 jeep cherokee pioneer 4x4. i was installing an alarm last week, and when i was under the dash, i noticed a gray colored box that was mounted on the lip right underneath the dash below the steering wheel. it was held in by two screws. i popped it out and noticed it said dana corp on it. it also had 2 different adjustable settings on the side of it. i know dana makes my axles, but what does this box do? apparently it's some kind of computer or module bc it has a harness plugged into it that has a ton of wires. i checked my friends 89 jeep cherokee limited 4x4 and he had one as well. i looked in my haynes manual and on the internet but i couldn't find out anything about it. if anyone knows what it does i would appreciate the input! thanks!

james morrow

Reply to
James Morrow

L.W.(ßill)

Sounds like you're describing the cruise control module. Those are usually yellow though. It's a plastic box with a single flat connector and one row of wires if I remember correctly. Also has two adjustable pots right next to each other on the side (also plastic).

Reply to
bllsht

If you need to replace any of Dana's parts:

L.W.(ßill)

do you know what the adjustable settings on it are for?

Reply to
James Morrow

It's been many years and my memory isn't as reliable as it used to be, but I believe the adjustments were for centering and sensitivity. Centering was to minimize the change in speed when the "set" button was pushed and sensitivity was how sensitive it was to speed variations. Too sensitive and it would surge, not sensitive enough and there would be too much fluctuation in speed.

Or something like that....

Probably best just left alone. If the cruise doesn't work at all, mucking with the adjustments won't fix it.

Reply to
bllsht