Dana 35 axle/c-clip play

94 YJ 4.0 Dana 35

After 4 wheelin I started to notice a clunking noise coming from my rear end when I rock the jeep sideways (rock rollbar). I have narrowed it down to both axle shafts having alittle play in and out. I pulled the axle on one side and have noticed play in the c-clip and axle groove. Please see online video:

Is this play normal? If not, what is worn, clip or shaft??

The shaft teeth are in perfect condition. But, I did notice some rough shavings around the end of the shaft (clip side not wheel). The c-clip groove seems smooth, just the tip edges. Also, the retaining shaft shows no sign of wear. Besides that inside the differential gears looks great.

Besides throwing the Dana 35 in the garbage, any suggestions so I can keep busy this weekend?

Chris

Reply to
dabend

Jerry Bransford