Dash Gauge Question

I'm going to temporarily disconnect my dash "gauges", (and I use the term loosely,) in order to install some real ones.

It will take a few days, as I'm recovering from major shoulder surgery.

Does anyone know if the alternator will continue to charge properly, if I drive around for a few days with the voltage gauge unplugged?

Spdloader

1987 Wrangler 4.2L 5spd manual.
Reply to
Spdloader

I'd say yes. If it's like my old C-10 Chevy, the volt gauge just feeds off vehicle power and can go anywhere. Regulation occurs under the hood either in the alternator or a module close to it. (except for newer vehicles that actually use the vehicle compooter to control the alternator)

Reply to
DougW

Thanks, Doug. I was thinking someone posted on it a while back, and the issue was some sort of continuity through the gauge, but I wasn't sure.

Thanks again,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I would think that would be more for an ammeter that uses a direct feed from the battery and a shunt resistor. Most volt meters are very high impedence and don't actually affect the circuit. Dunno

Reply to
DougW