Another Battery Question

If there are only about three companies making batteries now-a-days then who makes Delco batteries? Way back when we had WD (through our hardware and autoparts store) pricing for AC/Delco parts (15-20 years ago) we sold Delco batteries, and of the various types we had sold we had the fewest (almost none) problems with Delco batteries. We stocked them for everything.

Since I started buying new GM/Chevy trucks in 2001 I have had battery problems with every single one. Well, my brand new 2008 has not had any problems yet, but its only a couple months old. Anyway, I had several of them replaced under warranty, but I got tired of having to have the truck(s) towed over to them so they could remove the old and install the new batttery to qualify under warranty. Between time lost and effort it was cheaper to just go buy a battery and replace it myself.

2001 Sonoma 2002 S-10 2002 Avalanche (1/2 ton Z66) 2003 Silverado 2500HD 2004 Colorado

2008 Silverado 1500 (still has stock battery for now)

I just started installing CarQuest labeled 84 month warranty batteries, and I have not had a problem since. Even on the 2002 S-10 that went through three Delco batteries in the first year and a half. The battery in that truck is well over 3 years old now.

Since some hear have claimed that there are only three companies making batteries anymore. With that being said is one of those plants better or worse than the others?

Is there any way to identify which is which?

If I had a short life battery in just one truck I'ld have thought it was normal. It happens, but in five different trucks? I suppose I should say that the S-10 had a unique failure on two of its three failures. The first two failed because one of the terminals fell off (out of?) the battery. The others just all failed in less than 18 months. Sometimes much less.

I don't leave the lights on. My trucks are each driven by different employees, and we don't use them idling to run equipment. Other than being used as work vehicles to carry tools and supplies they are driven normally and serviced more regularly than the average personal vehicle.

I'm sure my experience with Delco batteries has to be unique with so many failures, but still even if I happened to just get 8 bad batteries that would still indicate what I would think is a higher than average number of bad batteries in service. All were under warranty, but I quit putting Delco batteries back in, and just started spending cash for the long warranty CarQuest label batteries because I don't seem to have the short life with them. I have yet to have to replace even one of them. All have been in service longer than the longest service life I got out of the factory batteries. Why? We have not driven them differently. Except for the S-10 leaking acid out of the broken terminals there was no corrosion. I do coat all battery terminals with grease when replacing a battery, but I can't imagine that tiny bit of preventative maintenance can be making the difference.

P.S. The CarQuest batteries are not cheap. I don't mind paying a reasonable price for good equipment.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I read your post. I just installed the 4th battery in my 03 TrailBlazer. Replaced the original Delco in 06 after it died (had a recall on this battery but the dealer still wanted 120 bucks labor to install it) with an Autozone 72 month battery. Earlier this year I replaced that one under warranty with a new Duralast (Autozone). A few days ago I had yet another dead battery and replaced it once again after only 30 days. So that's 3 OEM + factory batteries. The alternator was checked in 06 and again in 08. Puts out 90 amps at an idle. There is a minimal current draw of maybe

200ma with the vehicle off. This isn't enough to drain the battery overnight. I'm not a nose-ring boy with a 4000 watt amp and sub woofers either so the electrical system isn't strained. I looked at the S belt and although it has 61k on it, it has no cracks on either side and is properly tensioned. I always am aware of the gauges and would have noticed any charging deficiencies on the voltmeter which is always a tad past 14 except right after being started. One odd thing I notice and have confirmed this with the dealer is that when the outside temp falls below 20F, after the vehicle has set in the cold all night, the alternator waits 10 seconds before it starts to charge. According to the dealer this is normal and they supposedly confirmed with GM.
Reply to
Meat Plow

The s10 was due to the bolt. They put too long of a bolt in the cable and it would crack the soft lead terminal when it bottomed out. That is why the s10 kept failing. I don't know if the problem is the same in the others or not, I only had an s10 then.

Reply to
Eugene

Hi!

I am not sure, although I would like to know if anyone has that information.

The last I knew, the address given on the Delco batteries was still Anderson, Indiana. The only other place I've seen that location was on "American Energy" brand batteries sold at a nearby farm store. So I suspect that GM or Delphi is still assembling batteries there, or that the operation was spun off into a separate company.

I've had mixed results with the Delco batteries.

Actually, come to think of it, if Exide Technologies and Johnson Controls are two battery makers, whoever has the ACDelco batteries plant could be the third...

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I was watching some TV show on How things are Made, one one of them was Automotive Battery's. They make them and stick whatever label case is needed depending on the customer. A lot of things these days are just made by a few company's and it's just a different package. Of course the Battery designs may very depending on the customers demands. They're all aren't exactly the same. My Delco battery lasted me about 3 years. I currently have a Kirkland Costco Battery I've had for 2. I had some problems with it, but I cleaned up the somewhat corroded terminals and it seems fine so far. I was going to get a Optima but they were out, I was out of town and had to get a jump once and got the Kirkland since I was already at Costco with a dead battery.

Reply to
JBDragon