suddenly steering is hard

Hi there,

It's been a looong time since I posted here. I'm having a problem with my power steering. I just reinforced the frame on my 1981 CJ-7, by welding 1/8" plates on the outer side of the frame (both sides).

The problem I have now is that my steering is suddenly hard sometimes and it doesn't want to return by itself... Any ideas what would be causing this? I checked the fluid level and it's ok. I also checked the terminals and all seem fine. There is nothing on the way of the steering shaft that may be causing binding either...

- Pablo

Reply to
pablorCJ7

When mine recently blew a ball joint it acted like you describe.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Hi there,
Reply to
Mike Romain

The fact that you had to reinforce the frame tell me that steering box is under a lot of stress that it was never design to handle. Given its age if it is the original box it is likely due replacement but for some reason some seem to think that they never wear out nor that lifts and big tires have no effect on their life span. .

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I replaced my steering box with an AGR SuperBox2 about 7 years ago... I reinforced the frame for "peace of mind" because over the years I have had to weld many small cracks. Our road infrastrcuture here in South America is terrible, and the roads are full of holes.

Reply to
pablorCJ7

I spotted my problem because one wheel had a slight lean to it compared to the other and when I examined the ball joints, the grease boot had torn out on one. If it has enough play to wreck a grease boot, it is cooked.

When I put my new frame into my CJ7, it is also getting plated for extra strength and that peace of mind, especially if I have to go used on the frame.

Mike

Mike Romain

I understand that but even then 7 years is a long time for a steering box in those conditions. Jeep used to come with GM steering boxes that were pretty sturdy. My 79 J20 still has factroy GM box and pump and it plowed snow for many year. It is time for a new box in it thought it still works it is just low/erratic on boost at times and a bit loose.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Well, thankfully I just fixed the problem. I read an old post from year 2000 on this same group where a guy had this problem and had come up with this solution: I poured some lightweight oil all over the steering shaft and box from the firewall down to the box... Everything is back to normal now. :-)

Thanks for all your help. I was about to tear down the pump and box....

Reply to
pablorCJ7

You may want to change the steering shaft at some time since it sounds like it is worn out.

Reply to
nrs

Interesting. The u-joint was seizing up eh. Usually they get loose and sloppy. I oil mine regularly like you will likely do but it is still getting sloppy. There is a company local to me that will rebuild them with a greasable joint. I want to go that route some day.

Mike

Mike Romain

I will certainly oil it from now on ;-)

Reply to