death wobble resolved for me...Thanks Bill

95 Cherokee DW when hitting big bump on highway... Checked all suspension tie rods etc. Wheel balance, rotation etc... As Bill suggested earlier it was the steering dampner..never thought it was that because I just replaced it 4 months earlier...Turns out after taking it off to replace anyway (trying anything ,Jeep useless at highway speeds when a large bump is hit), the piston was very tight except there was about 3/4-1 inch of 'loose piston skip, no resistance' around the area where the wheels would have been straight. Took about 2 tries with my boy and me putting the piston thru the paces to find this. It still had a lot of resistance compared to the old one it replaced but not in that 1 inch area and not all the time.

The NAPA dampner which went bad was also backwards in that the body of the dampner was attached to the wheel side and the piston side to the steering, the original did not. I dont know if it was not the right one but it was the only way it could be mounted due to the eye holes being different sizes. Went to Advanced Auto and bought Monroe made in USA and it fit right and cannot get it to DW even trying...actually it has the improvement all around (tighter)...

Anyway I hope this helps someone.. I realize that the theory of something is causing this and the dampner may band-aid it may have validity, but I checked everything including wheels and personally watched them high speed balance and check suspension tightness etc. nothing was wrong.... Thanks Tom

Reply to
TF