Diesel in Jeep Cherokee

I found the URL to the page with the 5.7 liter GM diesel in a Jeep Cherokee, if anyone is interested.

The conversion story is interesting, and people keep asking about "What diesel fits in my Jeep?" Well it looks as if the 5.7 GM "fits," but you need a pretty big shoehorn.

"So we rigged up a jig that bolted up to the engine mounts (where the transmission would normally be fastened) and supported a precision X/Y cutting tool holder from a metal lathe. We then ran the engine on a frame and used the engine's own power to cut a true-to-center hole and snap ring groove in the end of the crank shaft for the pilot bearing..."

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

L.W.(ßill)

The kind of nut case who would put a diesel in a Jeep this side of "the pond" would consider this a minor obstacle only.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Just when you thought what am I going to do with that '84 Oldsmobile Delta 88 the URL above comes along. If I had to bet on "are there people out there who still drive these things" I would be out some money right now.

Then again I guess I missed the following at last years Newport Beach Concours d'Elegance.

1982 Oldsmobile 98 Regency "showcar"

-- Taylor

'89 Audi 200 '03 Audi S6 Avant '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Reply to
Just Taylor

Yep, and if I hadn't decided to go back to school I would be involved in some such madness myself.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I keep looking at my VW Jetta's 1.6 liter diesel and transaxle, and my pile of old Goldwings. Someday I want to build one, but the drive-axle into the bike's final drive ratio needs to be reversed.

Reply to
Paul Calman