weld-on accessories

i wanna sample the market a little bit to help with some designs im working on. im really curious if you as jeepers would be interested in bumpers that weld to the frame instead of bolting? what if such a bumper was stronger than what is currently avialable yet much cheaper? assume the design was such that you couldnt destroy the bumper if you tried. how about sliders that also weld on instead of bolt? thanks,

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Anything is possible Nate. I like to weld stuff to my Jeep when I cant find enough of the same size bolts....

RollOver Pete... Check me out at:

RollOver Pete

thanks pete. the idea is for adding true structural integrity to the jeep frame itself.....i just dunno how well it would go over. .....maybe ill just build the mounts for bolting but encourage (or at least suggest) welding.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

sorry bill, but all welds do not eventually crack and fail. contaminated welds are more likely to fail eventually, but a properly welded joint should last indefinately.

agreed. i really wasnt trying to save any effort, but to offer something a little different as a possibility.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

In our circle of Jeepers, welding to the frame is a "no-no". We like bolt on accessories. If you can't find a bolt hole, drill one. My $0.02

-- JimG

80' CJ-7, 258 CID 35" BFG MT's on 15x10 Centerlines 4.56 D30-D44 SOA D300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn 8000i w/dual batteries LockRight F&R

Reply to
JimG

I have to agree with Nathan. The mere physics of welding are inherently better than bolting components together when it comes to structural integrity.

We bolt to allow ease of removal/replacement and in some cases, to allow bolt shearing to protect critical components. This make total sense with imperfect humans at the wheel. However there are some things that are never compromised to bolts for overall safety and integrity.

I have a self fabricated bumper myself and welded it on for the same reason Nathan started this thread. I've also welded on my rocker guards. I don't plan on changing them and it was easier than fabricating brackets and drilling.

If I have to replace them I find a high speed grinder/cutoff tool my tool of choice for seized bolts as well as welded components! ;-)

Cheers!

Perry

87YJ 36x12.5 MT Baja's Dana 44 w/4.88

Nathan Collier wrote:

Reply to
Perry Gagnon

I also agree welding is stronger, but a solid welded frame on a Jeep or truck will crack over a period of time, it may not crack in the weld but it will crack. Metal needs to have a relief point to allow for expansion and contraction, also relief from vibration. Bolting/Riviting cross members and stiffiners allows this to happen, solid welds won't.. A trail Jeep that sees a few thousand miles a year may get away with welds, but a daily driver I wouln't weld on.

If you do weld to your Jeep be sure it has a good ground, disconnect the battery,Alt, and computer.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon

Hi Nathan, I don't think it is a good idea to make the bumper to 'strong'. The whole idea behind a bumper is to absorb an impact. If the bumper is bullet proof, all the impact will be transferred to the frame and jeep. It's alot cheaper to replace a bumper than deal with a tweaked frame. MikeG

Reply to
MikeG

And how would you feel if someone bought your bumper, welded it on, and it came off and hurt/killed someone. I know you may not be legally responsible but it still was your design. You can guarantee the welds in the bumper are done correctly, but not the attachment points. It is alot easier for Joe-Schmoe to use quality bolts than it is make a quality weld.

Just my 2 cents.

Reply to
aGraham

and yourself !

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

hi bill, welding is not excluded _anywhere_ on that page. the closest that youll see is "d) All accessories mounted to the truck tractor frame must be bolted or riveted." but even that does not exclude welding the truck frame. once something is welded to the frame it is an integral part of the structure anyway, it is not an "accessory". the accessories referenced would include fuel tanks, hangers, air tanks, etc.

welding is referenced many times in that page as well. "(b) Any welds or parent metal cracked." "(d) Any slider component cracked in parent metal or weld." "(a) Any cracks in attachment welds." "(1) Any cracks in welds attaching disc wheel disc to rim." "(2) Any crack in welds attaching tubeless demountable rim to adapter." "Appendix G rejects vehicles with any fifth wheel mounting fastener missing or ineffective. The out of service criteria allows up to 20% missing or ineffective fasteners on frame mountings and pivot bracket mountings and 25% on sliderlatching fasteners. The out of service criteria also allows some latitude on cracked welds."

etc. these are references to improper or broken welds, welding repairs are only excluded on certain things such as aluminum wheels and universal joints as i read it.

you oughtta be using IE anyway. ;-)

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

.....but the statement is limited to "accessories" which are not structural.

bill, at 17 years old i worked as a welder at godwin mfg (

) on a 5th wheel assembly line. my job was welding the5th wheel crossmembers to the truck frame. later i worked welding hingebrackets on commercial truck frames for dump systems. i dont think youunderstand what youre reading bill.

right.....i listed where it said that cracked welds were not allowed. how do you fix a cracked weld? you prep it and weld it. it did not say that quality welds were a problem on structural areas, only on universal joints, aluminum wheels, etc.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Nathan, you didn't weld to the tractor's frame! God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W.(ßill)

hi bill, i was _there_ brother, im pretty sure i remember how it was done! look at your own links bill, how often does "except by the manufacturer" appear? licensed manufacturers can certainly weld their own frames. look at the pivot braces on large dump trucks, youll find theyre welded.

now i suppose its possible things have changed a little in the past 15 years, but i doubt it. ill stop by godwin tomorrow and see how theyre doing it now.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)