Diff gasket material - what to use?

I've used Permatex Orange on other vehicles. Any reason not to use it on '02 TJ Sport D30 and D44? TJ FSM calls for Mopar Red or equivalent - what's equivalent?

I'm planning to switch to full synth gear oil and just want to make sure I get the gasket part right. JELo

Reply to
JELo

No. Knock yourself out. :-)

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Just make sure it is sensor safe RTV. Permatex 'ultra' line is the sensor safe one.

I used the ultra black on mine, just because I had it kicking around. No leaks.

Mike

JELo wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Just out of curiosity, why would you need "Sensor Safe" RTV for sealing the diff covers?

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Fumes.

Things like the O2 sensor will up and die at the slightest whiff of the fumes from curing silicone.

I even think someone from here killed his O2 when he used regular RTV on the front diff.

The fumes must have come in the intake.

Mike

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

That too Bill, but even fumes that can get sucked into the intake can kill the things and the front diff cover is awfully close to the air intake....

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

A visit to

seems to indicate that the non-ultra products are an older formulation most of which are now offered in a Sensor-Safe version. The Ultra line are more recent formulations "developed to meet today's technology changes" and all appear to be Sensor-Safe. JELo

Reply to
JELo

I also like the cure on the 'ultra' RTV better. It cures much harder than the old style stuff and seems to hold better. It also cleans off easier because it is stiffer.

My plastic valve cover with only the two top center rocker nuts holding it down was put in with cork gasket and a skim of 'ultra' black on both sides back in 2000 and it still doesn't leak.

Mike

Mike Romain