Disconnected wire

Hi all,

This is on a '93 2.5L YJ.

I've just run across a wire near the MAP sensor that's been disconnected, and it looks like it should be connected to something. It was just tucked behind the valve cover, and I don't like the idea of bare contacts being "just tucked behind" anything.

It's a brown and yellow wire, and the only thing I see in my Chilton's that has that color is related to the starter/clutch interlock switch, and if that's what it is, that would explain why it'll start with the clutch out. :)

Problem is, I don't see anything to plug it into that it will reach. There isn't much wire between where it exits the harness and it's tip.

Am I on the right track? /If/ I wanted to plug it in, where would I?

TIA.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

There are on some cars a wire that should be connected for the engine to operate correctly in high altitudes. Could this be it? Maybe somebody with more knowledge in this group could give an answer.

Odd-Inge Larsen

Reply to
Odd-Inge Larsen

On the '91 engines there was a temp sender on the left rear corner of head. Location and wire length look right for this. This was only for the gauge or idiot light. The emissions temp sensor is in the front on the thermostat housing.

Reply to
jeff

There is a brown wire that may be for for AC control. Do you have AC in the Jeep?

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
RoyJ

Nope, no AC.

Jeff's idea about the temp sender may have some merit, though, since the dash temp gauge has been extremely erratic when it works, which isn't often. I'll poke around some more today if this rain lightens up.

Thanks again!

Reply to
Garth Almgren

I didn't know there were two different senders for temp... That *would* explain the dash gauge's reluctance to work properly. :)

Thanks!

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Sorry, but.... If that is a temperature wire, the gauge would 'not' be working.

Did you stick the spade connector into that plug or does it have a broken wire inside of it? If that spade was there, then the rest of the plug is around, likely just as a broken off wire remnant. I would be looking under the vehicle for the wire dragging along.

If it was for the AC, you wouldn't have a spade in it, it would be empty.

Mike

Mike Romain

I just looked at mine. It is a 1995 four cylinder. There is a brown and yellow wire, connected to a sensor of some sort, threaded into the top of the cylinder head, just in front of the rear most head bolt on the driver's side. It looks as if your "broken off wire" is actually part of the sensor, that has pulled out.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Got a pix Earle?

Reply to
billy ray

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Bill,

Apparently, as Jeff said, the one on the thermostat housing is for the emissions and/or computer input.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

Yep, got it all figured out after a trip to the library and browsing through AllData's premium diagrams (which, BTW, are much more complete than the junk they try to pass off as diagrams in Chilton's).'

It's a secondary temperature sender just for the dash gauge. I figured out where it was supposed to go this morning by climbing up on my front tire and getting a bird's eye view like in your pictures. :)

As far as I can see, it was probably giving an intermittent reading because it had either not fallen out completely yet or was grounding occasionally. In any case, a new one goes in tomorrow.

Thanks again for the suggestions, guys.

Reply to
Garth Almgren