Don't Race Me

Hello Fellow Jeepsters,

Warm weather is upon us (at least in New England) and the new tight-as- a-drum soft top is gently billowing!

If you may remember, I had a PS pump replaced a few short weeks ago, and upon pickup noticed the check engine light was on, followed by high revving startups, almost conking out gas pedal taps, and stuttering on heavy acceleration. I figured the TPS got fouled out from the engine washdown and cleaned the contacts with cleaner as I read Mr. Romaine (sp?) suggest countless times here before. In addition, the mechanic suggested new plugs, wires, rotor, etc... and I took the advice yet nothing changed.

Now it seems to take a while to fire up on starting, just cranking for what seems like forever (3 or 4 seconds)...but the time is getting longer as each day passes, and heavy acceleration is a joke. High revs on startup are intermittent as well as the near-conkout when the gas pedal is goosed - some days it's fine, others it's bad. It also seems to miss a beat every-so-often while at idle.

I did the ignition code trick and it's saying 24 (12, 24, 33, 55).

12 - recently unhooked battery to install cd player 24 - TPS voltage 33 - no AC (AC?! in a Jeep Wrangler?!?! hahahaha!!!) 55 - blinking lightshow is over

Will a new TPS really clear this up? I would go and get one right away if it weren't the darn-tootin' cash flow issue. Money is a little tight to drop $50 (at NAPA) on a new TPS... so really - how accurate are these codes? I did purchase STP Throttle Body Cleaner and plan on doing it this weekend - does the part need to be removed? Or can I blast the crap out of it right there?

All the best, and thanks in advance,

~Jon

91 YJ 4.0 Auto
Reply to
Jon

So do you have a YJ or a Jeepster?

There are very few 'Jeepsters' on this group and I highly doubt they would have any idea about a modern FI engine screwing up unless they have modified their rigs.

I am not a Jeepster owner, but I do know what the voltage readings 'should' be on a 4.0 engine.

With the engine off and the AC off and the key in run, you back probe the TPS plug with a multimeter to read the voltage levels. The two wires for engine control will read 200 mv at the idle position and 4.8V at the wide open throttle position with a smooth rise. The other wire for the tranny shifter will read opposite to that or 4.8 at idle.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Hello Fellow Jeepsters,
Reply to
Mike Romain

I need to put this on a web page.... :)

Reply to