Drivers side Day time running light/high beam doesn't work.

Good day,

My wife and I own a 2004 Liberty with a headlight problem. The drivers side Day time running light/high beam does not work. When I turn the head light switch to the low beam setting both drivers and passengers head lights work. When I pull back on the turn signal stalk to flash the high beams only the passenger side lights up. Then, when I switch the high beams on, the same thing. Only the passenger side lights up. Both head light bulbs work. So that's not the problem. All the fuses check out as well. I have replaced the Day time running light relay but that is also not the problem. Could the high beam relay be partially defective? If so, where do I find it? I imagine that it is in the power distribution box under the hood. Yet when I open it I am unsure as to which relay it is. (As I am a disabled person, I don't have the funds to purchase a full service manual until the end of May... So I figured I would ask here and see if any of you guys might have some insight into this problem.)

Thank you

Ry'

Reply to
Socks

That indicates you have a burned out high beam filament.

The daytime lights are the high beam on half power.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Good day,
Reply to
Mike Romain

Wow, great logic there!

Humm, wonder what is causing the problem? After both head light bulbs work, so the OP says!

Probably less likely than the fact the headligh's high beam is burnded out.

That's wonderful.

Then why, oh why, did you replace a part without proper diagnosis?

Reply to
PeterD

Both bulbs work. As in bench tested with 12 volt power supply and checked with multi meter. Swapped drivers side bulb over to passengers side and vise versa.

Does that clarify it a little bit better?

Reply to
Socks

Both bulbs work. I tested them with a bench top 12 volt power supply. Even took the bulb from the drivers side and plugged it in on the passengers side and vice versa. The bulbs are brand new Hella. I just tried with another fresh unopened pack of Bosch/Osram bulbs this morning. Same thing happens-Drivers side Day time running lights and low beam does not work. As yes Mike, I am aware that the Day time running lights and low beam are one of the same circuits. That's why I am wondering if the low beam (Although I typed out high beam) relay is at fault.

Thanks guys

Ryan

Reply to
Socks

It 'is' the highbeam bulb by the by... The Canadian daytime running lights use highbeams on half power as far as I know.

So if you are testing the low beam bulb, it will be fine..... :-)

If the high beam bulb is indeed good, then I would trace the ground tag for it, likely a black wire going to a screw the grill or fender at the end of the harness piece.

The relay should run both of them, but I don't have a wiring diagram to verify that.

Mike

Socks wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks Mike. I'm going after the ground. As most electrical problems are almost always a dodgy ground.

BTW, both the log beam and high beam filaments are good in both the bulbs.

Cheers Ry'

Reply to
Socks

Reply to