High beam doesn't work

Recently I posted this problem with my passenger side high beam not working. It is not the bulb. someone posted that I need to clean the brass contacts. Where are they are how do I get to them? Could they also be the problem with my driving/fog lights not working? Thanks.

Reply to
William Michael Greene

Our mechanic had to replace the switch harness inside the steering column to fix ours. Does the high beam work when the "flash" function is used?

Reply to
Kay Archer

No it doesn't work then either. The switch harness inside the steering column. I wonder if I can replace that myself. Thanks for the reply.>

Reply to
William Michael Greene

Do you know that there are separate fuses for the left and right side headlights. Have you checked for a blown fuse in either?

Reply to
willshak

Would the passenger side fuse also supply the low beam? The low beam works fine.

Reply to
William Michael Greene

Yes, the fuse controls the entire lamp. I missed that the low beam worked. The brass contacts referred to in another message are in the lamp plug located behind the lamp and covered with a rubber weatherproof sleeve. Most just pull off the lamp. The lamp has male connectors and the plug has female connectors. There are 3 connectors; low beam, high beam, and ground. Looking at my 97 PU plug, they are arrange thusly: __

| |

One horizontal female on top and two vertical females below. The top horizontal is the Low beam, the left vertical is the High beam, the right vertical is the Ground.

You can use a multimeter set on DC to check if current is getting to the connectors when the headlights are on. Put the black MM lead in the plug's ground outlet and alternate the red lead in each of the other two while switching between Hi and Lo beams. If both Hi and Lo get current to the plug, then the problem is in the lamp itself. It could be a burned out high beam filament. If the Hi is not getting current to the plug connector, then the problem is between there and the steering column switch.

Reply to
willshak

I have tried to see if I am getting voltage to the high beam connector and I am not. I think you are right, the problem probably lies in the steering wheel harness. Some time in the pass someone said something about cleaning the brass contacts and I think they were talking about something different than on the back of the bulb as I had mentioned that I had tried connecting and reconnecting the bulb connector and that I did not get voltage on the high beam connector.

hanks for the reply.

Reply to
William Michael Greene

It would be unlikely that the contacts in the steering column would need cleaning. They are out of the weather and covered up pretty well, but anything is possible. :-)

Reply to
willshak