Eagle 258...

I have been semi-lurking here for a couple of weeks since I picked up an eagle wagon....hey quit laughing!! It was $250 runs great and has cold AC. Anyhow..as I was saying I have been semi-lurking (couldn't resist responding to a couple of posts) because this group, and the archives contained of the posts. My question is this: I have a chipped tooth on my flywheel, which is a minor annoyance. For the moment I just turn thee crank a bit and start it up when I hit the dead spot. I know thst one chipped tooth leads to two...leads to round flywheel. ;-) I have a perfectly good parts car with the same engien that I drove 40 miles home last week. I am planning on pulling engines and swapping flywheels. As I do not want to drag my parts car to the shop (I have allready swapped over the gas tank, upper radiator hose, and power steering pump...thuss effectively imobolizing it) and I do not have air tools at my house yet...so what I need to know is:

1) Is there a flywheel lock available for these engines for torquing the flywheel bolt(s)

2) What size bolt (s) hold the flywheel on

Since I will have to borrow a hoist for a day, I would like to make sure I am fully prepared for all eventualities at the outset. ;-) BTW assuming these engines are the same as in the jeeps, is anyone in the NC are looking for a running....soon to be missing a flywheel...engine to rebuild for their jeeps while abusing the one they have...I actually would consider doing a rebuild on this one as a back up...but really cannot feel the love for this car yet. =-) maybe if I thought it could get to some of the places I go in my VW....but naw..I think I'd break it hard trying. ;-)

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Gary Tateosian ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) wrote on Tuesday 18 May 2004 09:19 pm:

1) You don't need it. A well-placed screwdriver in one of the holes on the flywheel mounting plate will hold it in place for you. 2) They're somewhere in the range of 9/16" to 3/4" (I had mine out a year and a half ago), SAE. Take a 1/2" breaker bar and a decent socket set. Once the engine's out, they're a piece of cake.
Reply to
Michael White

...thanks. Not sure when I'll get to this, but am pretty sure it will be in the near future....maybe real near. =-))

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian