emissions crap on an 89YJ

I have an 89YJ, 4.2L

I'm installing a carb from a 70's CJ and ditching the emissions crap...question is, there are 2 vaccuum solenoids on the firewall above the valve cover and 3 on the valve cover, what are these for and can I ditch them too?

thanks

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

They are all garbage and you can keep the stock Weber-Carter BBD that's on there too if you want and still toss the emissions computer.

To physically toss the computer, you have to wire the tach direct. Here are the directions for killing the computer for a sweet 25%+ seat of the pants power boost.

It can still pass emissions tuned manually. I kept the vacuum for the PCV and canister (important), EGR, distributor and air filter flaps working, all the rest is garbage.

If your stock carb is giving you fits, check this link to make it purr....

I don't see how you can use a 70's carb on it, they were 1 BBL, the newer ones are 2 BBL so you would have to change the intake too.

Mike

Pi-eyed Piper wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain
78 is 2 barrel I think. I still need the EGR?

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

C6137 - P#, autolite carb from Napa. Same thing no emissions stuff

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

Your mileage may vary on the EGR. It is easy enough to try it with and without but the smog cops want an EGR for sure and mine had to pass up to this year. The engine cam is also designed for an EGR.

I found with my setup running ported vacuum the EGR caused a bad delay in the gas pedal response or bog. I have some delay now because I just had to have it's last smog so I am set manifold vacuum for the distributor and the timing dropped a couple degrees with the EGR in place. I am going away this weekend and am going to switch the timing back to ported and kill the EGR first. It makes a major difference in throttle punch. :-)

I also use two new wires when putting the computer to sleep rather than mess inside the wiring harness. It's easier.

Is your current carb dead, a kit is only $20.00?

Mike

Pi-eyed Piper wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I've got to warn about this too. I did an engine swap on a CJ while I was in CO. When I moved to CA and tried to get it smoged I ended up spending a couple of thousand dollars buying all the obsolete smog parts and getting it to pass. The referee kept failing me and aksing if I had taken it to a certified smog technition. I finally got the hint and took it in. Once I paid the smog tech about $1k and showed to receipt to the ref, he passed me. What a racket!!

Anyway, think hard about this. If you do make the swap, keep ALL the old parts in case you have to put them back on.

My $.02

Reply to
83 CJ

My old carb is a rattlebox. I figure I'll keep the old one and rebuild it for the experience.

So im not going to kill or blow anything up taking the EGR off...thats good. In Alberta we're all rednecks and dont have emissions testing, yet.

thanks Mike

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

No emissions testing in alberta