Engine Performance & Gas Mileage - Can You Assist Me?

I have a 1999 Leep Wrangler Sport, 4.0L, 5 speed. The previous owner installed the performance engine cip as well as the Big Brute air instake system. Is there anything else that I can do to increase engine perfomrance & gas mileage for street driving. What about replacing the mechanical fan with an electric one? Any and all advice or direct experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Rickster the Jeepster

AHHH! The Leep model! Able to leep from rock to rock with small jumps! ;) Throttle body spacer - not sure if the intake comes with one.

Reply to
Thoth1126

If you want mileage, dump the snake oil crap and go back to a stock setup with an electric fan and wear lighter shoes.

If you want performance, you could add a header and cat back along with that hot computer chip and intake you have on it.

The two are opposite entities, you can't have both in a Jeep.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I have a 1999 Leep Wrangler Sport, 4.0L, 5 speed. The previous owner
Reply to
Mike Romain

I have an electric fan in a four cylinder Wrangler and depending on where you live it may not be adequate for use with a six cylinder engine, especially during the summer, if you drive in the city, go off road, or like to leave it idling.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

You can have milage and performance, but not both at the same time.

Reply to
DougW

To be fair and honest Doug in a jeep you can have neither mileage or performance

Reply to
billy ray

Where did I put that URL...

straight line jeeping. 8)

Reply to
DougW

What happens when you try to change directions?

Reply to
billy ray

replacing the mechanical fan with an electric one?

Mostly noise and a peculiar rubber smell.

Reply to
DougW

Bookmarked! God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0 mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

If I keep my foot off the floor board, I can get descent gas milage from my

93 with a 4.0.

Reply to
abomb69

good advise

Not sure what this would gain though over all.

Very true but many like to beleive otherwise.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I got 21.1 on a 1500+ mile trip where most of the highway driving was well above 55mph, 10 days was camping off-road in Canada.

Reply to
billy ray

Bud, you 'maybe' have owned a J10, but even that is doubtful seeing as it is 'supposed' to be a quadratrac 'full time' 4x4 and yet on another group you state you 'always' have to stop in the middle of the highway in a snowstorm to change gears in it.

Now you are trying to give performance advise on a 4.0?

Your other lunatic posts are also out there to quote from.

You have proven beyond any reasonable doubt that you are totally insane and know nothing about a 'part time' 4x4 so unless you want flames every time, stop dogging my posts.

Mike

Mike Romain

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 14:07:34 -0400, Mike Romain wrote:

The troll in you is back!! I have owned well over a dozen 4x4's of all flavors and with 4cyl thru v8 too in the last 36 years or so and currently own 3 of them and my comments are driven by years of experiance not ego like yours. I have never said that I stopped on highway to engage 4x4 drive but I may have said you are a fool about your recommandations on the proepr use of 4x4 drive including at highway speeds. Also the principle behind performance gains are the same with all non super charged gas motors. (BTW, I have owned a 4x4 Jeep with a 258 too in years past) A gas motor is a heat engine driven by hot expanding gas (kind like you are at times) and the piston captures this and couples it to crankshaft. The engine is tuned to expect a certain amount of back pressure when it operates and the cam is timed to this. When you chop off the exhaust, the gas escapes cylinder too quickly and less of it is transfered to crank and this effect is most noticable below 3000 RPM or so. At higher RPM the duration of valve opening is reduced (relative to real time) and this loss of back pressure is not a problem most of times then. Also at lower RPMs during overlap some fuel mixture may be lost out of exhuast valve when there is no back pressure reducing MPG potentail. If you want a engine with good low RPM torque 4,6 or V8, keep exhaust stock. If you have ego problems like Mike here and you like to brag about spinning wheels on 4x4 drive on hard pavement and blow off a lot of noise and hot air take his advise. WHen you add a turbo charger the back pressure rules change because reduced back press increase turbo efficency.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I have never said that I stopped on

Liar!

You seem to forget that Google has 'all' you nonsense saved forever, like this recent gem over on rec.autos.4x4.:

SnoMan wrote: > On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 09:47:38 -0500, Mike Romain > wrote: >

Enough said.

Mike

Mike Romain

Knock yourself out guy. Your Troll comments are held too. How do I know you have a ego problem? (beside the crap you spread) You sig is a big clue that you want to impress someone. I could list a lot there but I do not have prove anything. I have seen your kind come and go and one day your torch will go out and another troll will likely carry on for you.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Mike's right. Take your bullshit somewere else, snotard. Mike's been here for a long time helping people. You, on the other hand, seem to just spread your bullshit were ever you go.

Reply to
Mike

Bud, I have been around this group since the last century and have seen lots of total idiots like you not last too long. Your bullshit won't be put up with for long in this group, neither will your 'play' with words.

Instead of spouting off bullshit about stuff you don't know, why don't you take your 'so called' vast experience with J10's and answer those folks with troubles?

I'll bet you can't even help the poor person trying to buy one asking for help here who doesn't know how to shift one eh?

Oh, my sig line photo albums are of Jeep off road runs consisting of folks 'from this newsgroup'! Jerk.

Mike

Mike Romain

I no longer think it is his ego that causes his stupidity. I think Snowad suffers from some sort of mental disorder. Take a look at this recent thread where he attacks someone who was addressing a friend.

(sbj: Strange ABS/Rotor question????) Clearly he has no clue what a troll is... (or what a friend is as he has none.)

Another gem can be found here

(sbj: Dumb brake question)

Reply to
Heatwave