finally got fed up with the rear-view mirror

I finally got fed up with that damn glued-on rear view mirror nonsense. Tha bad engineering has been pissing me off for many years now.

See what I did here:

Capt. Purple.

Reply to
Capt. Purple

I gave up gluing them on years ago. Take it to a glass shop and have them glue it on for $5.

My 19 year old YJ still has the original in place.

Reply to
Steve Foley

Reply to
Tom P

Cute. It actually press-fits; it's high temp epoxy, and it's a high temp silicon rubber piece.

I also have to go to a glass place for something else - I'll ask about a new "glue job". Plus I'd LIKE to replace the windshield. CP

Reply to
Capt. Purple

Or, you could have done what I did. Get one for older CJ's that was bolted to the window frame. Drill a couple of holes and be done with it.

Jeepnik

Reply to
K Horner

Or, you could have done what I did: When I put a new windshield in my CJ I left off the mirror. After a year or two you can't see details through the plastic rear curtain anyway, and I learned to drive in a windowless Econoline so outside mirrors are second nature to me. Connecticut requires that I have outside mirrors if I don't have one inside, so I'm covered there.

I _think_ that the move to glue-on center mirrors was mandated by the NHTSA as an impact hazard to occupants.

K Horner wrote:

Reply to
Lee Ayrton