Flasher fuse question

I have a 93 Cherokee 4.0L and my turn indicator flashers have stopped working. I noticed that the fuse gets very warm to the touch. I pressed all the fuses in to make sure they were secure and for a few seconds my flashers started to work, then stopped again. I want to replace the fuse. Is this something I have to get at the dealer or can I get one at the local AutoZone?

Thanks.

Reply to
Pat Blank

You need to pull the fuse and clean it. If it is corroded, you need to figure out why.

A leaking brake or clutch master cylinder can leak into the inside and literally eat up the fuse panel.

Water can leak in there from the windshield and rust/rot out the fuse panel too.

Mike

Pat Blank wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Oh, it is a standard fuse most gas stations even sell....

Mike

Mike Roma>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike, Is he talking about the fuse, or the flasher unit itself? I suppose the answer is moot, either one can be found down the street at Auto Zone. I think his problem is the flasher unit though, not the fuse.

Reply to
CRWLR

Both are on the fuse panel and if fluid is leaking either could be cooked.

The fact he pushed on the fuses and it started working implies to me not enough power is going around to turn on the flasher.

He didn't say he pushed on the flasher, but if he did then I would look at the flasher legs. It's one of the two round cans on the fuse panel, if he needs to know.

The flasher legs are corroded all to hell on our 88. The panel got nailed with brake fluid from a dead MC and a new flasher arcs out it's contacts every freaking year...

I am getting tempted to cut the wires from the fuse panel and solder them right onto the flasher.

Mike

CRWLR wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike Romain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca:

Update

Well when I was looking at the panel and fuse all looked clean. The flasher is working again today. Interestingly enough, I had the brakes worked on just before it started giving me problems yesterday. I'll investigate the possibility that some fluid was spilled.

Reply to
Pat Blank

I guess I assumed he didn't know the difference between the fuse and the flasher, and since both are on the same panel, he was confused as to what he was pushing around.

Reply to
CRWLR

"CRWLR" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Actually I pushed everything around. But I was confused that the flasher was the fuse. Now I'm straightened out there.

BTW: The flashers started working again without me doing anything. I need to pull the (actual) fuse and make sure it isn't corroded.

Reply to
Pat Blank

Just to recap, the flasaher units (two of them) are round and approximately the diameter of a quarter. There are 2 of them because one operates the turn signals and one operates the emergency flashers. If you pushed and pulled on them and they started working "properly", they could be having internal issues and it might be a good idea to simply replace them. I forget how old you said your Jeep is, but if the turn signals begin to be erratic, replacing the flashers makes lots of sense.

My logic may be flawwed, but I think the Emergency Flasher gets two pins on it, and the Turn Signal Flasher gets three.

Reply to
CRWLR