Front end alignment

Just had my 95 Cherokee Sport aligned.

They said that the TOE was the only setting that can be adjusted ...?!?

Is this so?

Their printout indicated that the camber was out of spec (don't remember the specs...the paper is out in the Jeep) but they said it wasn't adjustable. How worried should I be about this??

TIA

noneyabusiness

I didn't know the '95 XJ's Caster angle wasn't adjustable but since the Caster angle adjustment went away in the Wrangler TJ after around 1998, it wouldn't surprise me. It's for sure the Camber angle is not adjustable other than with aftermarket adjustable ball joints.

So be happy it's > Just had my 95 Cherokee Sport aligned.

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

If the camber is WAY out then you are looking at a possible bent axle or spindle. As far as I can remember each side has its own camber value. Whether you should worry depends on how far off spec. the two camber values are, and whether they are different.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

I would want to find out 'why' the camber was off. Every time mine has been off, I have had worn out parts.

The first clue my hub is eating a wheel bearing or they need repacking is when I approach my vehicle from the front and notice one wheel isn't perfectly straight up and down. I then fix that and if it still is off I suspect a worn out ball joint and I had just that as well.

The bearings on yours aren't serviceable, but you can check them. If you jack up the vehicle and wiggle the tire and have easy movement, suspect a bearing about to fail. If the wheel is tight, then it's on to checking ball joints.

You can see a bad one usually if you are under watching while someone turns the steering from pin to pin. When it pins out and starts to groan, the ball joint might show movement. You might have to jack the wheel up and use a pry bar to see if you can make a joint move.

You also can sometimes feel them if you have the vehicle on the ground and grab the top of the tire and rock it hard. Put all your weight into in so the vehicle is rocking side to side. If you feel a clunk or shuffle, suspect ball joint if the bearing has already checked out ok.

A visual is all it takes sometimes too. Have a close look at the ball joints on both sides for signs of rust at the boot or for signs it isn't lined up the same as the one on the other side. Just before they blow out, you can usually see the bolt isn't centered over the socket side. You can use a straight edge ruler to help eyeball a line sometimes.

Mike

Mike Romain

OK, it seems I ( AND the mechanic) misread the printout.

Per their (Firestone) printout. the reference range for Camber is -.75 to .50 (degrees?). My left front is .19 and the right front is .30.

This is within the range, and on an earlier inspection they found nothing loose in the front end, so (knock on wood) everything should be good :)

noneyabusiness

Reply to
philthy