2003 Corolla: tire wear and alignment

Have a 2003 Corolla at 30k miles with original tires of Goodyear Integrity P195/65R15 89s. The tires were rotated twice in the past at 10k and 20k. Saw excessive tire wear, especially in the front, compared to other cars at 30k. At 30k service, dealer suggested alignment after rotating the tires for the 3rd time. After alignment was done, I can read from the alignment report that everything except toes were in spec range and now stay the same.

The front toes were +0.11 left and -0.11 right, compared to the spec range of -/+0.10. The rear toes were 0.14 left and -0.11 right, compared to the spec range of 0 to 0.27.

After the alignment, the front toes are now at -0.01 left and +0.01 right. The rear toes are 0.13 left and -0.12 right. The right rear toe is still out of spec range.

The dealer said the rear toes on 2003 Corollas are not adjustable, and it would need a spacer to correct the out-of-range right toe. BUT there should not be as much tire wear since the front toes were corrected.

My questions are these.

1) Since the front toes were so ever slightly out of spec range (+/-0.11 compared to spec of +/-0.10), how could the tires be worn out that much? could it be the tires themselves that are of cheap types or quality?

2) With rear right toe still out of spec range, -0.12 compared to 0 to

0.27, is it worthwhile having a spacer put in to correct it?

3) The alignment report shows the thrust angle to be 0.12 before alignment and 0.13 after alignment, while there is no spec range. I have the impression that the thrust angle should be 0. Could the non-zero thrust angle have caused the excessive tire wear?

I realize that this is a long post. Thank you for your patience and your answer.

Reply to
e2p

You're doing pretty well to get 30K out of your original tires, which are typically not very high quality (this is controlled more by your dealer than Toyota). I only managed 25K on the Continentals my 03 Matrix came with, which has 16-inch 55s instead of your 15-inch 65s. I changed to Goodyear Assurance and they are still in great shape with

20K miles on them. They are a lot smoother and quieter too.

I don't know much about the cause and effect of poor alignment, but you should expect that an alignment would put everything within the spec limits without additional parts, unless something is damaged. If they cannot do that, then I would suggest another dealer or a tire shop.

Reply to
Mark
30k for OEM tires is not bad --- they are the cheapest round black donuts Toyota can buy. A few Toyotas come thru with great Michelines and Bridgestones but the Dunlops, Goodyears and Firstones are crap.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Thanks for your answers! I looked up the OEM tires that came with my Corolla, Goodyear Integrity P195/65R15 89S. It's supposed to have 50k mile tread life warranty. Shouldn't they last close to 50k instead of

30k?
Reply to
e2p

They should...

I had a '78 Corolla that came with Toyos on it. Usually, Toyos are good tires, but they didn't last very long. Sometimes, OEM tires are just the cheapest they can get...

Reply to
hachiroku

Although tires may have the same name as the OEM tires, they are not necessarily the same tires. Non-performance OEM tires typically last 30,000 to 40,000 miles. Performance tires can have a life as short as 20,000 miles.

The alignment figures you posted would cause some shoulder wear over 30,000 miles but nothing drastic. If just one shoulder on a tire is worn, then alignment could be the cause. If both the inner and outer shoulders are worn, then try raising cold tire inflation by 5 PSI to improve tire life.

Reply to
Ray O

On your alignment sheet, look for "total toe" both front and rear. THIS is the number your looking for that determines tire wear.

I see on your post that the left and right were both pointing the same direction, both the same amount; AND after the alignment the numbers hardly changed. This tells me they really didn't effect any real change on the alignment, or merely bumped the front tires until the screen showed green and hit "print" This is one way you can make a alighgnment look bad for the customer will say do it then show some change.

Look at the "total toe" number on the paper. If it didn't change and IF they actually put a wrench on it all they accomplished was straightened the steering wheel.

Rear toe: Same reasoning. Total toe is the wear indicator. Many cars that have a solid axle with no adjustment often come from the factory slightly skewed, but the total toe is the important number. If the left and right numbers are off from specs, but the total toe is in then you will have no wear problems but the vehicle doesn't travel straight down the road; it will dog-track a wee bit. (it has to be far off to be noticeable).

reading the numbers; the dealer shot you a line of bull. I see nothing that they adjusted.

Reply to
Steve H

Wow! I truly appreciate your comments, espeically Steve's. It's so nice to hit an expert!

The total front toe was 0.01 before and 0.01 after the alignment, with the spec range of -0.2 to 0.2. Does this mean the dealer didn't do much? Because there's not much to do? The individual front toe did improve from

0.11 to 0.01, as I mentioned in the previous post.

What puzzles me is that while the individual rear toes were 0.14L/-0.11R before the alignment, and 0.13L/-0.12R after, the total toe was 0.03 before and 0.02 after, within the spec range of 0 to 0.53.

How come the total toe was and is within spec while rear right toe was and still is out of spec?

Do you still think that the dealer could have done a bit more? Or the tear wear is simply due to poor quality tires, and the alignment was not even necessary?

The tire wear is pretty even left and right. The (previous) front tires have more wear because they were in the front for 20k miles while the (previous) rear tires were in the front for 10k.

Great thanks again!

Reply to
e2p

Chances are, nothing was done.

The computers to do the alighnments wander a wee bit. any number may vary from the befor alighnment to the after. .01 to .03 would be expected.

With toe, the computer is looking at 3 numbers for each axle, left right and total. each number has it's number and a + or - varience. IF it's not adjustable and the total toe is within spec, you do not have a problem. the total is the left and right balanced (added or subtracted) together If your car asks for a total toe of "0" then optimally both the left and right tire should be at "0"... But if your left tire was at -20, Right tire at

+10 Your total toe would be -10 Right tire at +20 total toe at "0" again. No tire wear, just a car that dosn't track straite. But if your left tire was at -20, Right tire at -20 Your total toe would be -40 , potential tire wear. (some cars do call for a total toe at -40) Ford Escorts meerly have one adjustment on the right rear axle, you anol set the total toe. Does the alighnment sheet have a "steer ahead" number? If that number has changed from the pre to the post sheet, then something was done (however small) Also look at the tie rod ends and lock nuts. Any sighn of a wrench being put on them? If not, and they are rusty or dirty then that tells a story too.

Some people drive harder, enter the corners faster and cause tires to wear as if there is a alighnment problem; and even I have sent cars to the rack to see nothing wrong with the alighnment.

Could have something to do with it.

Reply to
Steve H

Just some notes: Chances are, the .12 is at the edge of spec and the.13 is out of spec. a .01 difference is nothing.

Ahh, but what did he adjust?

NO

Your thrust is out .13 because your rear toe is out .13 Thrust will not cause tire wear. it is merely the "steer ahead" the ability of a car to track a strait line.

The basics of alignment are: Toe is the worst tire wear problem. Total toe is the number you look at to determine a wear issue Camber is a long term tire wear issue Caster will not wear tires, but cause a pull

Got to go

Reply to
Steve H

I have a 2003 Corolla and had uneven wear and a pull to the right with OEM tires and about 24,000 miles. The dealer checked alignment and said it was within specs, and I believe they were right. I finally couldn't stand it anymore and bought new tires, and the pulling and odd wear problem disappeared.

Reply to
offen rong

Often if a car has a pulling issue, and the specks look good we swap the tires from one side to the other--if the pull is now the other direction the tire.

Reply to
Steve H