Fuel Injection Conversion

Just picked up an '87 Wrangler for a mere song. I'm going to change it over to fuel injection, but don't remember where to buy the Holley projection kit.

Any one with the link?

Or, anyone with a better idea for fuel injection than the Holley?

Spdloader

1987 Jeep Wrangler 4.2L, Poser, bone stock, but all new tub and fenders.

1997 Jeep Wrangler

2.5L Poser
Reply to
Spdloader

Micah

Thanks, found this, too.

The old Holley kit was called "YJ pro-jection". It may no longer be available.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Well, I found that one too, but it says it's only for V-8 applications. Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Why?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

What about finding a fuel injected parts Jeep and using those parts to convert yours?

Jeff DeWitt

Spdloader wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

I don't really have a good reason Earle, just that I've always wanted to do it. Not sure why. Plus, it'll be winter soon and I'm needing a basement project.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

That's a good idea too.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I'm really not the one to comment on US suppliers, but try Summit Racing. I've been happy with their service, but they may not be the cheapest.

Didn't see a version for the 258, but they sell one version for AMC engines at 851.95 bucks, so I suspect they could get it for you.

Looks a whole lot cheaper than the Mopar version at 2500 bucks !

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

Thanks Dave!

Spdloader

Spdloader

They're on ebay regularly for usually about half the price of a new one.

Speaking as someone with an 88 YJ with 258 that has a 4.0 head conversion, Cold air intake, Hesco RVOB06 Cam, Comp Cams Anti-Pump up lifters. 4.0 header, mandrel bent 2.5 /w Flowmaster, Holley Pro-Jection, TFI ignition upgrade, Crane double roller timing set... That is sitting on a block with great oil pressure, round cylinders/walls and good hone marks with normal compression.

I would estimate that these mods all netted me at most 35 horse power, most of it down low off idle which is nice but means it's still a pig on the highway it just doesn't compare to the better breathing 4.0 which has just as much if not more low off idle torque than the 4.2 but also revs past 3500 RPM's willingly and more importantly very quickly. My YJ is still not as powerful at ANY RPM as my stock 4.0, and it's a world apart from my 4.6 stroked XJ not even half as powerfull if even that.

For the price of a new Pro-Jection kit you can easilly get a running XJ as a donner, a whole drive train could cost LESS than a used Pro-jection

2d system, which sell for $450 $500 bucks regularly on Ebay. In contrast I just watched a decent AW4 (4.0 auto transmission from an XJ) with TC, flywheel, bellhousing, computer and cables sell for $41 dollars.

Best part is, you're only a winter project away from a 4.6 stroker Using the old 4.2 as a donner for the crank and rods... It's basically worthless for anything else anyway as no one pays anything for them. Generally they aren't even worth the cost of shipping them.

Actually maybe the best part is you get rid of that French transmission and you can use anything from a solid AX15, an NV3550 or a current 6 speed. Which were all mated to the 4.0 in Wranglers and are thus easy swaps.

This isn't the same animal as putting a 350 in it, there's no motor mounts to weld, no trans mounts or adapters, no new T-case to deal with. drive shafts aren't an issue Basically it's all bolt in, minor fab or available off a later YJ (92 to 95) or TJ...

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Thanks, great post!

Spdloader