fuel pump fail

Hi Folks: I have a '90 Cherokee Laredo and the fuel pump has just failed. Actually, it whines quietly but doesn't pump gas - like something broke inside. About two years ago, I had to pull the tank down due to fuel problems which turned out to be bad electrical contact between the fuel tubing and the ground plate. The negative, by stock, goes through this path. Since I had the tank down, I changed the pump to a replacement - E7006, and rewired the negative to a bolt I put in the plate. Technically, if the connection were to break, as mine did, between the tubing and the plate, it can arc and that's not good at the point where the plate meets the tubing if you had a full tank of gas and it starts seeping there. I soldered it back to secure it anyway. So, this pump is about 2 years old and bad. I'm wondering if it's just a cheap pump ($60 bucks). The original pump, a BOSCH, works, but I have no idea how many miles on it. There are 180K on the jeep. I don't want another cheap pump as pulling the tank is a bit of a PITA. What kind of time can I expect from a fuel pump?

Thanks Folks! Harry

Reply to
harry

harry did pass the time by typing:

Impeller might have broken. Have you checked the filter to see if it is clogged, most pumps will bypass internally if the resistance gets too high (75-100 psi)

My OEM has over 116,000 miles and 11 years on it and might now be having some problems (need to do some tests). NAPA is a good starting point.

OEM

DougW

Howdy! Followup: I ordered a new pump from the dealer and it is a Bosch! All OK now. Harry

Reply to
harry