Gauges & Electric Windows on the Blink: Solution? -JGC-

Based on the manual, doesn't seem to be a directory for a specific fuse accounting for this. Check all the fuses anyway, they all are fine. Plus...when it first started happening, I would give the top of the dash on the drivers side a good "smack" and presto, the might pop on. Perhaps I would hit a pop hole and that would trigger them to "activate" or "deactivate".

Loose wire, contact, short, etc.? Am I going to have to remove and get behind the gauges, etc. to fix this? Any clues, tips or hints appreciated. In my lay-man's mind I can only imagine there is a nexus point wherein the gauges & windows electrical connections are sharing the same contact point or something right under the dash above the gauges?....

Thanks In Advance Andrew

Reply to
lanceandrew

-one more thing. in the last 3 weeks 4-5 times the JGC would not start due to poor cable connection on the battery. I removed the cables, cleaned the terminals and reapplied the cables and the JGC started immediately. Could a low cell or poor connection cause this problem? I am going to replace the cables this weekend, been meaning to, finally have time.

Thanks again,

Andrew

Reply to
lanceandrew

Remember that cables have two ends when cleaning. If you get replacement cables please remember that the factory cables were marginal and a lot of the 'standard duty' stuff you find at Auto-Zone (etc) is smaller than that!

Pay attention to the cleanliness of your ground strap terminals (both ends) and please note that they sometimes rot from the inside and will disintegrate is you 'squeeze' them.

If you peep under the hood you will find a lot of grounds Battery to body, battery to block, head to firewall, plus one for all the electrical stuff found there.

The problem with the lights that get corrected with a slap to the dash is also probably a poor ground.

It shouldn't be surprising that the vague and sometimes bizarre electrical problem are most often due to poor grounds or corroded connectors that just need to be cleaned and greased

I'd recommend that you coat the battery terminals and cable ends with a light coating of dielectric grease.

If your battery is fully charged you can get a charging system and battery load test for free at Auto Zone, Advance Auto, and most other auto-parts stores.

Auto Zone (at least) will charge your battery if needed at no charge...

Reply to
billy ray

The only problem I've ever had with electric windows was probably about a decade ago and turned out to be a bad $20 switch in my daughter's '88 Cougar.

Unfortunately Jeep door and window switches are a unit and are considerable more expensive, front switches are $200+, rear switches are cheap.... $20+

Reply to
billy ray