rubi gone

i went ahead and sold the rubicon with the (original) intent of ordering an '05 rubicon similarly equipped (except without the hard top that ive grown to hate) in solar yellow. i found out last night from ranger dave that the unlimited rubicon will be available in september. when i mentioned this to the wifey she asked that i wait and order an unlimited rubicon instead so it appears im jeepless until sometime around september. i dont like the unlimited at stock height but shes agreed to a 4" lift and 33s so that changes everything! in the meantime (dont look bill!) i picked up a polluting '96 f350 crew cab diesel 4x4

that i really enjoy so far. if anyoneis familiar with the 7.3PSD please contact me privately. for you rubicon owners out there who might be wondering what the market value is, mine was a fully equipped (dual tops, auto, tint, cruise, subwoofer, etc) '03 with roughly 19,000 miles. i got $21,960 + he sent me $500 to deliver it to dallas texas (driving it down next week).

those of you who have ordered jeeps recently, what is a realistic expected wait time or is it possible to speculate on a new release such as the unlimited rubi? (i know the differences are minor, but i also know how the smallest of things can hold up an ordered vehicle)? my local dealership didnt even know of the unlimited rubicon release so he is not accepting orders yet. anyone know of any dealerships within say 500 miles of 59105 (but still in montana, no sales tax!) that is accepting advance orders? thanks.

Reply to
MontanaJeeper

Your best on-line resource for Ford diesels is

Bob Bills Orange County CA '83 CJ-7 '87 Ford F250 4x4 diesel '46 Bantam BT3C

Reply to
Robert Bills

My Jeep is taking 3 months to get here. Where did you learn about the Unlimited Rubicon? I'd almost rather an Unlimited Rubi than the Rubi I ordered 3 months ago.... I didn't want the Unlimited cause it was an automatic, but a 6 speed Rubicon Unlimited sounds pretty cool man.

-Muuurgh

Reply to
Muuurgh

Reply to
twaldron

What do you plan for winter months without the hard top? Soft top? What didn't you like about the hard top?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
twaldron

first from a friend, then i made a few phone calls to a high volume jeep dealership.

i actually prefer the SWB like the one i have, but ive grown to trust my wifes judgement and she feels strongly that it would benefit us to get the unlimited rubi instead. so long as its lifted to make up for the deficit of the break over angle due to the LWB i can go with it.

i used to feel the same way about SWB jeeps.....an automatic just didnt "feel right" in a jeep. after driving an automatic tj off road the first time it completely changed my thinking. now i wont own anything but an auto. if you crawl rocks it makes almost as much difference as having lockers. ok, thats probably pushing it a LITTLE but it makes a big difference anyway.

Reply to
MontanaJeeper

not as much as starting all over again in debt, but i just cant help myself. :-)

Reply to
MontanaJeeper

heh...wifey drove an unlimited this weekend, she really likes it...too late to order an '04 anyway. we'll be looking at the '05 rubicon unlimited when they start taking orders in a couple months.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

ill just run the soft top. tj heaters are capable of keeping you warm in a soft top jeep.

a hardtop has its practical applications i know.....but if i were wanting to be practical i would get a minivan. :-) i guess everybody has their own ideas of what makes a jeep a jeep, and the soft top just does it for me. there are times when ive been glad i had the hard top, but the hassle of storing it when i want to run the soft top made the decision for me.

Reply to
MontanaJeeper

Just curious. Why did you "hate" the hardtop?

Reply to
j carter

There was word of 2006 being the last year for the rubi... Nick

Reply to
Nick N

I just never seemed to get around to putting on the hard top this past winter in NJ. I bought the dual tops because i needed the hard top in my old drafty YJ. Mine hangs in the garage from pulleys. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

I lived in vancouver for 2 years....and that's how long the hard top stayed off for. It never got cold enough to worry about.

Now I'm living in a snow belt and plan on use the hard top in the winter! Luckily my brother has a huge garage and lets me store my top in there! We get lots of heavy snow /icerain here and I don't think the soft top would appreciate it.

Reply to
SB

i can't beleive that, they just recently released the sucker - i can't seem them shelving a model after such a short amount of time

of course, real jeeps are built not bought, only posers buy a rubicon pre-made to be offraded

but i doubt that enters into the thinking of the daimlerchrysler execs when deciding to produce a model or not :-)

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

same here. come on up here, we'll do a bulk buy and not pay sales tax either. :-)

Reply to
MontanaJeeper

ive heard so many conflicting reports from folks "in the know" that i dont bother listening anymore to most things until i see it in a press release.

Reply to
MontanaJeeper

thats the most assinine statement ive seen in here for some time now. dont hate. work hard and save up, one day you can have one too.

Reply to
MontanaJeeper

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

you have been telling us for ages that it was destroyed on models produced well before the Germans got hold of it...

Dave Milne