GPS anyone???

i traded in my 99 wrangler for an 06 liberty---has everything i want--6 speed manual, fog lights, light bar, tow hooks, sun roof, block heater,

6 CD changer but what it doesn't have is the GPS---would love to have one for road trips---any suggestions???
Reply to
shell

I've owned 4-5 GPS receivers and of all, the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS (which was recently stolen out of my TJ) was and is still my favorite. It has everything from a compass and altimeter to autorouting to an address plus a database of restaurants, hotels, businesses, etc. Absolutely a first-rate dust and waterproof product. Garmin's newes version is the GPSMAP 60CSx at

which has expandable memory that my older 60CS did not have.

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I will second a Garmin. I have an EMap unit and it also has the add in full detail map feature with memory card use. I have only needed the stock North America map it comes with.

Mike

Mike Romain

I have a Magellan eXplorest 500cs and it's a good unit, but a Garmin Streetfinder III for the roads. I DO have Garmin envy when it comes to my handheld now that I have seen the upper end Garmin models, and will probabaly get one in the near future.

DO look into the cost of accessories and maps though, Garmin is pretty proud of their stuff. OH and DO NOT buy anything at BestBuy, they are crooked as the day is long.

Kate

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Mike Romain said....

I will third a Garmin. Mine is an eTrex Legend. It's small and easily drops into a shirt pocket. While the display is small and can be hard to read while underway, it can be tied into my co-pilot's laptop, making navigating a real kick. Although the built-in base map is quite useful, I bought their MetroGuide USA software (~ $115 US) to go with it. Very cool.

Reply to
Dale Beckett

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I also had an eMap that I lost somewhere. I used the standard N.A mapping, but just before I lost it I bought a memory card and the street map software.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Just recently purchased a Garmin C340 for trips and stuff. Does text to speak so it not only shows you the maps but tells you where and when to turn. Its quite accurate. Its larger that the handheld units but it does have its own internal Lion battery for 8-10 hours running time.

Good prices at

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob_M

Garmin. Whatever one strikes your fancy.

Reply to
jbjeep

Have a Garmin 176C stuck to the windshield so low the unit is on top of the dash in my Liberty. Works great and can be removed in 5 seconds with the supplied auto mount.

Reply to
<curtis6317

Get the Jeep GPS from your dealer. It is really the Garmin Quest 2 ( see

) and as a long time Garminowner ( eMap, gpsmap 76cs ) this thing rocks. Not only does it fitperfectly on your dash, it includes a speaker to speak the directionsjust like a "big boy" car GPS. It also include the complete roaddatabase of North America in its internal ROM!!!! I recently didwheeler pass in Nevada and even though its a Rubicon class dual trackit was still in the map database!! Plus, you can load topos, waypoints and routes from any of the Garmin products. It is also FULLYwater proof and has a cool flip down cover to hide it from theuninitiated. 20 hrs of battery life means you can hike and geocachewith it, and once you drop it back in the cradle, it starts to charge.It was difficult to get info on it at first, but once I discovered itwas the Garmin Quest 2 rebranded it was a no brainer!!

Reply to
cakoala

You can pick up one up at any sporting goods store. I have one in my YJ as a speedo. Used a CB mount for it so I dont have to hold it. Works great.

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers

My Magellan is the same way, fits nicely but DAMN I wish I had a factory unit.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

i was told the factory installed one takes the place of the CD player---wasn't willing to give that up and i like the idea that i can move an after market portable from vehicle to vehicle JMO

thanks for all the info

Reply to
shell

I have the 6 disk changer with Sirius. It's ok, but has been replaced already (I have 9k miles on her now) because it died. It didn't remember that it was a CD player too.

See, unless you buy the background maps, the handhelds are not great for navigating streets. For what I use mine for I like having one for streets and one that's portable. Now I have two of the darn things on my dash at times. it's a bother.

Kate

2O|||||||5 liberty Ltd. :
Reply to
KJ.Kate

Take them off and use the male method. Know all the streets in your area, or pretend to. Refuse to stop and ask for directions. Keep driving around until you see something you recognize. This is why we keep the gas tank full...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

i have a setup that i am preparing to review and publish on a couple of my websites. first get this:

it includes a GPS locator that plugs into your laptop, and turns your laptop computer into a GPS, trip planner, route manager, etc. i got mine for $87 on amazon.com. since you cant have your laptop flopping around in your jeep, get one of these:
it requires no drilling and gives you awesome versatility. ill be installing my laptop mount in a few hours and should have a complete review online by monday. if youre interested in seeing how the final installation turns out, ill update the thread with a link to the review.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

as promised, here is my ultimate mobile GPS solution:

Nathan W. Collier

Thanks Nathan... could you maybe email me a couple more shots? I'd like to see what it looks like from the side. Is it pretty stable? There really isn't any room for this in the Liberty. I can't imagine how they are crammin it in with two passengers.

Kate svtkate at selby dot ws

Reply to
KJ.Kate

id be glad to. im leaving first thing in the morning to head to washington state. ill be back sunday morning and will take a few shots then.

ive uploaded a couple more pictures since i first announced it. they show a couple side shots. check it out, if they arent what youre looking for just let me know from what angle you want them and id be glad to take a couple more.

very stable. so long as you tighten all the ratchet handles and the soft touch knob, its surprisingly stable.

the beauty of the articulating swing arm is that it allows you to put the desktop wherever you want it. it cost more than what some others cost, but quality usually does.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier