2005 Wrangler Soft top on 99 Wrangler

Heyas.

A guy I know bought a 2005 Wrangler soft top. The first thing he did was replace the softie with a bikini. He offered me the soft top for $200 including all of the hardware.

I have a 99 Sport with a factory hardtop. I'd LOVE to have a soft top! Does anyone know if it would fit? Even if I have to buy a conversion kit or something...

Thanks!

Joseph

Reply to
Ice

yes it will fit

Reply to
J. Sprauer

Very cool! Thanks. Will it require anything more than all the mounting hardware that came with the 2005 top? He said it comes with everything it had on it. It 'looks' like a perfect fit, but with Chrysler making changes like they have, I'm afraid to go on looks alone.

I did take your word on it though, and just called and closed the deal. Thanks!

Joseph

Reply to
Ice

If it doesn't fit, you can always sell it someone with an "older" Jeep.

Good price, BTW, I just paid almost $500 for a TJ replace-a-top and used my old hardware. I still needed an additional piece of weatherseal on the header to stop the leak. Frost King # V27W works well.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

you will need the 2 door surrounds the 2 tail gate pieces and the 2 rollbar pieces..that should be all the hardware .....and of course the bow assembly which the top is on

Reply to
J. Sprauer

I put a 2003 soft top on my 99 TJ. It will fit, but you'll need the following:

- bows from a 2003+ top

- door surrounds (97+ are just fine)

- Mounts for the rollbar uprights (2003+ ONLY -- they are different than

97 - 02)

- Tabs for the rear of the tub where the window connects

That's it! I had the original top on mine when I found a barely used '03 sailcloth (for $150... hehehe). Luckily, the guy included all the related hardware, so I had the mounts that go on the rollbar uprights. Before I put them on, the top flapped a lot. Now it is MUCH quieter.

- Eric

99 TJ SE
Reply to
Eric

Ok...

Now you guys have me scared. I can't find this stuff. Can someone recommend a site for them?

Reply to
Ice

What stuff? The bows I am referring to are all the metal rods that the soft top material is attached to.

The brackets can be bought from the dealership for pretty cheap, actually. The guy I sold my top too needed the ones for the back of the tub (his came from the factory with only a hard top, so it didn't have the tabs).

Reply to
Eric

Ice - go take a lookey at another Jeep what has a soft top so you can identify these parts, no problem. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes