Grand Wagoneer undercoating?

Hello:

I have been reading the ng for a while and am impressed with the level of expertise!

I hope someone can help me with a question.

Is there any downside to having the underside of my 1989 Grand Wagoneer sandblasted and undercoated? Is it beneficial? I had once read that some of the old undercoatings could actually promote rust by somehow trapping water, but I am sure that the technology of these coatings is much improved now.

Thanks,

Frank

Reply to
Frank Townsend

There are more people here qualified than I, but I own two Jeeps, and the problem is always to keep the u-joints and the boots and the seals intact and free from outside *things* like sand. I would never sandblast the underside of a Jeep. If you could get only the undercoating underside the fenders -maybe- a big -maybe. Woo. I shiver. Sandblast the underside of a Jeep? You may have really big problems doing that. I've never heard of anyone doing that. But stay tuned to this newsgroup. Maybe someone will have a better solution.

Reply to
Billzz

Undercoatings good, sandblasting....shivvvverrrrrr I had an old cr 250 dirt bike. I would go riding in eastern washington, in the desert with it. I could never figure out how sand could get into places that water could never get into. I had sand inside my brake linings, drums, in the oil, and in any and every place you could imagine. If you could think that sand wouldn't get in there, take it apart and you would find sand......BAD IDEA Robb

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Reply to
FrankW