Help with Grand Wagoneer tailgate regulator

The ng has been very helpful for my other questions, so here is a new one.

The Grand Wagoneer tailgate electric window regulator has a power spring that helps the motor raise the window.

This is a spiral spring, also called a clock spring, helical spring, or properly, power spring.

The regulator I have looks like the spring was replaced, but not completely re-coiled as compared to other examples. Thus, it provides less lifting help.

My question for anyone well-versed in mechanics: is there a spring compressor for large clock/power springs? A net search has not helped.

I would like to remove this spring, wind it one turn tighter and replace it.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Generally the springs are not under that much force and can be done by hand. A good pair of vice grips, goggles and heavy gloves. Sometimes the units can be removed and wound by using the arms, but I dunno about your application.

Reply to
DougW