Grind/Click Sound - Front Axle

97XJ Sport w/Dana 30 front axle. Noticed a few days ago an unusual noise during slow speed tight turns. Parked the Jeep and used the daughters car to finish up last week of work. Now that I'm on vacation, I jacked up the jeep yesterday, and it sounded like the brake pads ( the vehicle was inspected a couple of months back, and they passed it with a note that the pads would need to be replaced soon). So, wife drives into the city and picks up new pads on her way home from work. I replace them, and I'm still getting the noise on the passenger side when I spin the tire. Does it with the vehicle lifted and when the tires are straight. This same noise was also made when the vehicle was on the ground/stationary, and turning the steering. I replaced the hub assy last fall. I looked at the u-joint, and didn't notice any play...but, I know looks can be deceiving.

Any thoughts? Am I looking at replacing the u-joint, or do I have a defective hub assy?

Thnks, Eric in NNY

Reply to
eric

I would cut the wheels hard to the side and then hand spin the wheel while feeling the u-joint...

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Did that...makes the same noise if the wheels are cut too the left, right...or jacked up and straight.

Reply to
eric

A wheel weight hitting your rotor rock deflector? God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

On this particular day of this month, in the Year Of The Golden Pig, L.W. (Bill) Hughes III did state:

Now how in hell would you know, Gasbag?

You know /nothing/ that google doesn't whisper in your flabby ears.

And yes, they are in fact flabby. And they match your blotchy alkie's complexion and bloodshot eyes, too.

Now be a good little Mad Hatter and go piss up a rope.

Reply to
ouzo-uzi

You are neither; just jacked off and gay.

Reply to
Jesus H. Chrysler, Esq.

"What" is making the same noise?

If you hold your hand on the u-joint and 'feel' it while slowly moving the wheel when cut to the side, you should be able to 'feel' the clicks.

Are there any rust stains near the u-joint caps?

Are the u-joints greasable (either a zerk on the X or little plugs on the ends of the caps) and have they been greased?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

First thing I'd look at is the steering knuckle U-joint. Look for a trace of rust around the rim of the rubber seal on the joint cups. Jack it up, put transfer case in 4wd, try turning the wheel back and forth see if you get ANY play in the joint. Mike mentioned cutting it hard, do that both left and right.

If you recently replaced the hub, replac> 97XJ Sport w/Dana 30 front axle. Noticed a few days ago an unusual

Reply to
RoyJ

Thanks all for the replies. The "knuckles" were replaced 4 years ago, but with the jeep being in 4WD 6 months out of the year, it's quite possible that they have run their course. I did see what looks to be like rust dust, but will have to pull the axle out to get a better look. If it needs a new part, might as well do it now before winter set's in! :)

V/R, Eric in NNY

Reply to
eric

Just an FYI for you. The non grease 'heavy duty' 'lifetime' u-joints only last me about a year up here in Canada where/when we see lots of water crossings and mud bogs. There is no way to pump the water out of them after a run so they just rot. Some on the XJ were done in 8 months.

I installed about a dozen of the SOB's on both Jeeps, then figured out I got suckered for marketing hype and they were total garbage parts. Apparently they work only for desert rats that never see water.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Mike (& group), Well, I pulled out the tools, jacked the XJ back up, and when I pulled out the half shaft, I heard the noise as it slid out. It was the u-joint! SOB made a nasty sound as the joint moved left to right direction, and couldn't get it to move "freely" in the up/down. Lucked out with my neighbor being home, so he helped me pop out the bugger. Bearings in one of the cups were nothing but dust, and the other three had bearings that were covered in rust dust! So, now to find a local auto parts store that has the greasable ones in stock, else it's down to the city.

Yeah, we get our fair share of snow (200+ inches annually) each winter, and all the state maintained roads are heavily salted during the snow removal process. :( So, I feel for my fellow "neighbors" in the great white north, as well as the great lake states!

Well off to parts land!

Thanks again for all those suggestions...I knew one of them would be the answer! :)

V/R, Eric in NNY

Reply to
eric