89 1ton 4x4 front rotors

Ok was planning on doing front brakes on my 89 GMC 1ton 4x4 today. So the other day I read up in my factory service manual, looks like an easy job, so I get all the parts, and today I get to work. Well, the service man didn't tell me but it looks like the rotors are press fit? or otherwise bolted? I took the wheel adapter off(it's a dually). Get the caliper off no prob.

Cannot get the rotor off. Is the manual this far off? Anyone do brakes on one of these before? I threw a dial indicator on the rotors for the fun of it, and the worse one is only .005" out. But I def have a pulsate when stopping. How do I get these rotors off? My dad has a press.... do I need to take the whole hub assembly off? Is it likely that anything other than the rotors could cause my pulsation?

Thanks guys, Ed

Reply to
89GMC

The front rotors on the 1 ton is backward mounted, meaning, you have to remove the hub, drive out the wheel studs and then drive the rotor off the back side of the hub.

Strongly recommend new wheel studs on re-assembly.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

The rotor and hub come off together, and then get chucked up on a brake lathe as an assy. Or the rotor can be turned with an "on the vehicle" brake lathe. If the rotor has to be replaced the studs have to pressed out then the rotor can be removed. Always use new studs on assembly, and then chuck it up on a lathe and check the run out., if it out, turn it. welcome to the world of bigger trucks. I prefer the off the vehicle method, the bearings should be repacked, and the forgotten bearing and seal inspected, repacked or replaced, ie the inner spindle bearing and seal that can only be gotten to by removing the spindle assy after the rotor and hub assembly is removed. Mark the alignment of the spindle to the knuckle, and be mindful of any shim that may be between the two pieces, it needs to go back on as it came off. NAPA has a "tool" that will thread on the spindle and allow the use of a grease gun to lube the bearing. its not the best way, but better than no lube at all.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Thanks for the info guys, gonna give it a shot this weekend, and I'll def go for the new studs, no since fixing the wobble in the rotor and adding a new wobble with the studs I wreck.

Reply to
89GMC