grinding valves on M38 A1 possible?

The camp I work for has a M38 A1 jeep with low compression. The engine runs but doesn't have the power to climb our campus roads. We were considering new rings to increase compression.

Someone told us that the valves on these were too thin to grind and so putting new rings in was a waste of time. Some one else looked at it and said the jeep is not a military version although we got it from army surplus like 30 years ago. I have the data plate in front of me. It looks like six brass plates were mounted to a large metal plate at one time, now there are only four brass plates.

Can we grind these valves? Is it better to find another engine to put in, if so which one?

We use it as a housekeeping vehicle on camp. We have 9-15% grades and snow in the winter. Our roads are paved and it doesn't go off-road.

Maybe I should be trying to sell this and find a used replacement.

jimo

Reply to
Marvin Oliver

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III