cj5 shackle question

ok here goes some friends of mine have a 75 cj5frame with a 46 cj2a body on it. 36 inch tires. 4 inch lift procomp springs. how long should shackles be bolt to bolt before it is unsafe? right now i believe theyre somewhere in the 9 to 9 1/2 inch range to alot for body and tire clearance/fit.

Reply to
marvin martian

Roughly 4" is the length of a stock CJ shackle. I'd never recommend running a shackle more than 1" longer than that. 9"+ sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen.

Reply to
SoK66

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III
3" is the proper length for a CJ's steering alignment.

You should check with procomp to see what shackles their springs are designed for. Too short will cause springs to bind and be hard, too long will allow the springs to over flex and go flat or invert.

Mike

marv>

Reply to
Mike Romain

You can't be serious. You have passed the max safe shackle length a long time ago.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I have shackles that look about the same....I have LOTS of arch in my springs

Reply to
bingobongo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I will shortly, those springs in the pic you have are DEAD. If someone puts a shackle lift on DEAD springs it will probably so not nice things.

Reply to
bingobongo

Picture:

As you can see they are not flat. They look ALMOST the same as before, maybe .25 inch difference. I've experienced no driving issues, it's fine. And those springs weren't even brand new.

Reply to
bingobongo

How much did you have to shim it and what brand of spring did you use?

Mike

b>

Reply to
Mike Romain

springs where used, I have no idea what brand. Nothing is shimmed I have no vibrations to speak of.

Reply to
bingobongo

No response to the picture? You called me a troll, I'm not. You asked for a pic, I gave it to you, no response???

Reply to
bingobongo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

shit dog, show me a 16year old Jeep without rust on it, thats just a weak argument. And we were talking about how these shackles should flatten my srpings, which they haven't

Reply to
bingobongo

and there's no crack....FYI

Reply to
bingobongo

It pains me to side with Bill, but those are horrible. I can't imagine how they don't screw up the steering geometry -- I saw what you said to Mike about no vibes, but you have mucked up the driveshaft angles for both ends or your Jeep, and have severely hosed the Caster angle, which should make handling an interesting experience.

But, even if you have no vibes and no handling problems, those shackles should be outlawed. Sorry.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

what can I say, there are non of the issues you guys say there should be...I'm not eating u-joints and it handles the same as it did before the shackles

Reply to
bingobongo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

shit bill, then I guess there are cracks in my rims, cracks in the fenders, the WHOLE frame is just one big crack.

it's 16years old....Your still avoiding my point. WHY AREN'T MY SPRINGS FLAT? They aren't CLOSE to being new springs

Reply to
bingobongo