Hard Top Wiring....Something ain't Right

Just put a Factory hard top on my 2004 TJ and put in the factory wiring kit also.

The kit goes in pretty easy but when I reconnected the battery the Rear Defroster switch is on all the time, including with key off!

The plug they want you to put it in mates with a hot wire in the harness, which seems to be ok I think.

I unhooked that wire,(Black and White) for those familiar with the kit, and ran power from the battery to it and the light on the switch lights up, and will not go off by hitting the switch.

I am wondering if I have a bad relay,(supplied in Kit) or bad switch(also supplied in kit) or if they gave me a wrong kit for a

2004.

Also there are two wires that go to a plug in the instrument cluster that seems to do nothing. I am assuming those make some lights in the cluster light up when the defroster and wiper are on.

Can some one that has put this kit in help me out. I need a wiring diagram for that defrost circuit.

I need to try and test this switch and relay if possible so I can get them replaced if bad.

One more thing. The kit comes with a 10amp fuse that seems to go nowhere, cause in the instructions it does not mention the fuse at all, which is also making me think the wrong kit was in the bag.

The instructions just say,"Hard top wiring kit for Jeep Wrangler" and does not mention any years. although the part number on the bag is for the 2004.

Thanks

Reply to
Intergate

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I could be off here, but you need two harnesses I think. One is for the Jeep and a second one 'converts' the Jeep harness to the top harness. I think the second one is only a foot long or so.

My memory might be off on this, but I think that is what others have posted.

Mike

Mike Romain

I've got an '02 TJ and did get this little foot long 'tail' but to behonest....I don't remember what it was hooked up to in the before I took my hard top off for the first time. But, the existing wiring (without the tail) is the right length to easily reach the hardtop plug and all my stuff seems to work (wiper does anyways....haven't tried the defroster yet -- looking at the weather tells me it'll be soon enough!).

Reply to
SteveBrady

Bill, I think you're reading that wrong, it just says that the defogger will only operate when the ignition switch is in "run," meaning it won't operate if the key is out of the ignition...that doens't mean it comes on every time he starts the vehicle.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Agreed. I wonder if his hardtop came with the factory logic module, or if it was already in his Jeep...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

That foot long 'tail' is just an extension put on by the factory in dual-top models where the softtop is shipped folded down inside the hard top. It simple lets the wiring reach around the folded softtop. You are supposed to throw it away.

/Peter

Reply to
Peter Pontbriand

I guess I need to clarify.

With the power wire for the defroster hooks to the harness in the pin ,(Slot) they say to put it in. The defroster Light on switch and defroster itself is always on as soon as battery is connected, whether key is on or not.

I bypassed harness and ran battery power directly to wire in harness I installed with Top Kit and same thing happens, so wire being in harness as shown in install sheet makes no difference, which is leading me to believe relay is bad and energized as soon as it gets battery power no matter if the defroster switch is on or off.

The TJ came with only a soft top originally.

I bought the factory hard top and wiring kit needed per Mopar to install it. Only one harness, no pigtail,

The relay for the ATX looks like the same one supplied with kit, and I am wondering if I could use it to see if the one I got is bad. Any Ideas

Reply to
Intergate

I have recently seen some 'bad' relays out there. Hella for one now uses them. They do not have a standard 'bosch' relay pin out!

I also recently tried to use the Hella directions to help someone install their light harness and the directions had the relay energized all the time. They even used the 'right' pin numbers for the screwy relay and got it totally wrong.

I would be looking on the bottom of the relay to see if it has the bosch style numbers on the pins. 30, 87, 87A, 85 and 86. 85 and 86 are the trigger wires and 30 to 87 is main power on when triggered. 30 to 87A is main power on when off.

If they are not numbered, then the trigger should have something like 60 ohms across the pins, the power on will be an open and the power on when off will be almost 0. Or just take the cover off it and look.

Mike

Mike Romain

I agree with this answer as it was the same way with my 02 TJ Tomes

Reply to
Tomes