Head lights switch problem on XJ

Hi guys. Something wrong happened with headlamps switch on my '92 XJ. Few days ago I noticed some strange burning smell inside a car but I didn't figure at first moment what was it. Day after my lights started flicking and I realized that something is wrong with a headlights switch. Connector was melted and switch itself was, how to say, connections were ''moving'' so it made a bad contact. Can you tell me what can be a problem? Is it usual with this switch in '92 XJ? Is it going to be OK if i order a new one from USA (I live in Europe) or I should make something different with combination of different switches? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks. Davie

Reply to
pipo

I see that lots on vehicles that folks have 'upgraded' stock lights to high powered ones without adding a relay. Same for folks that add fog/driving lights and run the power through the headlights.

Meanwhile the switch isn't that hard to replace. The plug is a problem though because now the contacts in it are all burned and corroded.

If I can't find a replacement plug and wire pigtails at a wrecker, then I cut the burned plugs off and put new spade connectors on the wires so I can just put the wires back onto the switch without the big plug. When I cut off the old one, I leave a half inch or so of wire so I know where the new plugs are supposed to plug onto.

Mike

pipo wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
pipo

Where do you live in Europe? These switches are easy to get in Europe against reasonable prices. I think I bought one for about 35 euro's. The reason is age, corrosing wires and did you recently replaced a bulb?

Regards from Amsterdam

"pipo" schreef in bericht news:bvor0r$v8r$ snipped-for-privacy@ls219.htnet.hr...

Reply to
news.quicknet.nl

Auuuh, I live in a country where everything for Jeep is more expensive than spares for Boeing 747, I live in Croatia. But anyway, those days I'm planning to order many things frome some shops in USA by Internet and also I hope that next time I come to USA will be able to visit some 4 WD shops. I'm a seaman and my ship comes to Texas and Florida every 15 days. I didn't replace any bulbs since I owned this this XJ (maybe 2 years), why? I disassembled my switch after I had problems first time and in place of rivets, I tightened it again with screws, (when guys from my rig's home country read this, they are probably laughing but...) and everything was OK till few days ago. It started again, first burning smell then lights flicking and... better go home and do something else. I was planing to fit a switch from some other car but better is to wait new one, original. Many regards from Croatia.

Davie

Reply to
pipo

And, sorry I forgot to ask in last post, do you know adress of some good shops for Jeep parts in Europe?

Reply to
pipo