93 GC wipers do not park anymore

To all,

My 93 GC wipers do not park anymore. The wipers run normally at low and high speed but if they are switched off they just stop where ever they were on the windshield. This started when a bunch of snow slid off the roof when driving and (apparently) overload the wipers (they were on delay when this happened).

With older cars/trucks there was usually a parking electrical contact inside the wiper motor however looking at the schematics it looks like the wiper control module may control the wiper parking now with just a feedback from a switch inside the motor.

Does anyone have any hints? Is there still a parking contact inside the motor that may have been burned that I could try to fix or did the wiper module get damaged internally?

WB

Reply to
WBarie

L.W.(ßill)

WBarie did pass the time by typing:

The wiper motor is a b*tch to repair. And if it's what I suspect (broken parking gear/pawl) then your gonna have to replace the unit.

To make sure you should check the park system manually. You have the service manual?

With the unit stopped in park, check the DarkBlue to Black. Should be a short (or close) Also check the DarkBlue to LightGreen/redstripe that should be open unless the unit is parked.

the module could be fragged. But I don't have a schematic for its guts.

Reply to
DougW

I have a 1993 Grand also and had the same problem.

Don't touch the motor and dont worry about checking the schematics. Behind the drivers side kick panel you will see a square module that is velcro'd to the body. The module has two larger connections on it at both ends. This module controls your wiper intermittant settings. You can replace the module for about $35.00 from the stealership or you can do what I did since I am a cheap bastard.. :)

There are 4 rivits holding the module together. I drilled out the rivets and pryed open the module. Inside on the board you should see a blacked area where a contact has been burned out. If you are handy with solder and have a steady hand then you can repair the contact yourself. After that is done I taped the panel back up with duck tape and stuck her back where she came from. That was 4 weeks ago and I know have all my wiper settings back and the wipers park afterwards.

I think what happens is exactly what you explained. The module tries to run the wipers but burns out from pushing stuff that is to heavy.

Let me know if this works for you also. I got the information on this from one of the many GC boards out there.

Cheers!

Check out my site at

<admin

Thanks I'll try to get in to the cowling area to check out the signals or are they easily accessible under the dash?

DougW wrote:

Reply to
Walt Barie

Walt Barie did pass the time by typing:

To test into the switch you either need to pull the cowling (not impossible just a bunch of philips screws) or get under the dash like the poster from ncgcanada.com mentioned in this thread. Odds are he is spot on. You might have burned out a trace in the module.

Reply to
DougW

I have had the same problem for months now.. thanks for the tip.. will be off to the dealership today..

Reply to
Mike Hall