Help 4x4 YJ??

Hey Gang,

This is my problem, When it is cold 4wd does not work. I have changed the fluid in the T-case and front diff, now I am running synthetic. I Pulled off the front actuator, it works properly. I blew into it and sucked into it and it slides freely. I have felt the vaccum that goes to the front actuator there is not alot of vaccum, just alittle. I have replaced the switch in the transfer case. When the switch was out I checked the vaccum, with the ball in the switch pushed all the way up using my thumb to press the ball while engaged into 4wd it has alot of vaccum. But, that is not what it feels like when in 4wd the vaccum feels like the ball is pushed only half way. So when I replaced the switch I took off the rubber O Ring gasket and RTV sealed it, thinking that the switch would sit lower. I adjusted the shifting lever so there was no slack in the shift. I have also blown out all the vacuum lines.

The transfer case goes into 4wd I can feel that. I took direct vaccum off the manifold and hooked it direct to the front actuator, pulled the transfer case back into 4wd, and it seems that the front goes in and out while I am driving 10-15 mph. Alot of loud clanging in and out.

So if my actuator is in fact bad is there something cheap I can do to ensure its in? Does anyone have any ideas what it is? What options do I have of getting rid of the vaccum to lock the front diff in? Help with ideas or cures!!!

Tim Fisher

91 YJ
Reply to
Tim Fisher

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Pull off the rubber boot on the front actuator, you should have a medium vac on the green with the shift lever in 2wd, medium vac on the yellow in 4wd. If so, your linkage, transfer case, switch and vac lines are ok. You tried full vac on the INBOARD fitting and it still clanged and made a fuss? Sounds like the shift dog has been beat up.

If the shift dog is worn, the cable shift that Cherokee-LTD suggested will do the same.

Cheers. Tim Fisher wrote:

Reply to
Roy J

For a quick & dirty 'always in' fix:

  1. Pull the actuator. Be ready with a pan to catch the gear oil.
  2. Note the 'lock' position of the actuator fork.
  3. Cut a length of 3/8 bolt or rod to fit snug between the fork and housing.
  4. Use a hose clamp to lash the bolt in place along the slider so that the fork is fixed in the lock position.
  5. Slide the axle collar to the left so it links the axles. You may need to roll the wheels a bit to get the splines to line up.
  6. Replace the actuator, ensuring that the fork is properly seated in the collar.
  7. Top up your diff housing with gear oil.

Steve

90 XJ

Tim Fisher wrote:

Reply to