HELP!!! Drum just came off!

Was investigating that popping noise on my wife's XJ. Sure enough, putting my hands at 12 and 6 and tugging produced a "clunk". I popped the tires off (NOT easy -- those were the TIGHTEST lugs I have ever loosened) and when I released the e-brake, the drum just came right off. NO effort. I no NOTHING about brakes, but I'm pretty sure that isn't supposed to happen and that is the source of the popping sound when she stops.

What the heck do I do now???? Do I just put the drum back on? Shouldn't something be holding it in place???

Eric

Reply to
Eric

The wheel holds it into place. Put the wheel back on when you replace the drum. :-)

The rear axle on the XJ is supposed to have a little in-out play in it if memory serves.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

If I grab the ends of the axles I can pull them in and out a bit (Chrysler

8.25 w/trac-loc). That isn't normal, is it? Keep in mind I have this popping sound that comes from the rear when I'm stopping that I'm trying to track down.
Reply to
Eric

Here are some pictures of the shoes. No way can this be normal. Look at the striping on one and the wear at the corners on the other. These things were put on only a few months ago. Also, the driver's side drum, as I said, just "fell" off. No effort. It moves around the axle end too. The passenger side had resistance from the shoes touching, but that was it (still came right off). Didn't move around nearly as much as the driver's side. What do you guys think???

Eric

Reply to
Eric

The shoes look ok - the grooving is due to dirt or sand getting into the brake. I can't tell how much lining is left - if it is not worn to the rivies it should be ok.

You need to adjust the star adjusters. They are supposed to be self-adjusting, but they get rusty. The best bet is to take the XJ to a shop and have the rear brakes rebuilt and adjusted. If you are willing to buy a manual and try it yourself, it isn't difficult.The parts are quite cheap.

Don't mix up the drums - the left should go back on the left side of the axle. Unless you have them machined - then it doesn't matter where they go.

John

John Davies TLCA 14732

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

Thanks. I made sure not to mix up the drums. Should it move around the axle end (don't know the proper term) like it does? Lots of play. Was wondering if that was where my popping (clunking, whatever) sound was coming from.

I also have a lot of play (1/8 turn) when it was in the air and in park. The play isn't in the u-joint, it seems to be in the diff.

Reply to
Eric

That is perfectly normal wear.

If one drum came off loose and floats and the other was snug on the shoes, the adjuster for the one that came off easy is either seized or the cable had slipped off the pivot slider or broke.

The groves are from a previous rock or spring that got on the drum and gouged it a bit. When you free up the adjuster star wheel or fix the cable, the shoes will conform to the drum really fast.

Mike

Eric wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I agree about the brakes, but the play in the drum makes me think maybe the axle bearing is bad. Make sure the axle doesn't have any play up or down.

Reply to
4x4motorhead

I'm not sure what your calling a "popping" noise but the shoes can make a noise where they contact the backing plate. The cure for that is to clean and lube slightly the backing plate where the shoes hit. The drum that pulled off without any resistance needs the shoes tightened, there should be some drag. As others have stated, there could/should be litttle star like spring clips over one or two of the lug bolts holding the drums on. But that's no big deal. Now about play, what are you talking about? I thought you were talking about in and out end play. Then you mention the driveshaft. By looking at your pictures, the whole area looks like it could use a good rust removal, cleaning and lubricating in the right places.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Don't know about the noise but the drum is supposed to slide off. Sometimes they'll be a little tight due to rust on hub. Put the drum back on (the wheel holds it in place) and be sure to torque the lugs all the same between

85-100 lb-ft.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

The wheel and the lug nuts hold it on.

Reply to
CRWLR

Yes, the axle moves in and out (making a nice "clunk" at either end of the move).

Reply to
Eric

Yes, I believe that is normal.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Perfectly normal. if the star adjuster isn't taking up the slack, the shoes and set and release repeatedly when stopping and make a knocking noise... Take the star adjuster out, noting how it's installed. Take it apart, clean the threads and lubricate the threads with anti-seize, reassemble and reinstall......adjust it out untill the drum is just snug going on over the shoes, and put the wheel back on.

Do the same on the other side, just to be sure, and you'll be fine.

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Keating

I'm pretty sure he's taking in-out play....normal especially with a C-clip axle like the 8.25"

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keating