Help with front drive shaft rubbing skid plate on TJ

Okay, so I finished (sorta), installing my 4.5" Rubicon lift short arm. I have the auto transmission and if I accelreate hard the front shaft rubs on the trans skid plate. I have since pulled the trans skid plate. Anyone else have this issue? I could fabricate a new bracket I suppose. Does anyone make a skid plate after market for the TJ Trans?

I still need to adjust the pinion a little more, I get vibes at 65 and up. If the pinion is perfectly setup what speed are typical of the vibes?

Thanks

ULB

Reply to
ULB

How much of the plate rubs the shaft? Would it be possible to notch the skid plate?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

It barely rubs that I can see, but I only drove it for 2 miles seeing how it would handle with a couple of fast starts. I am kinda worried that on full flex it would brake a ujoint etc. I am fairly certain I could torch a small section out. I called up RE and they said something to the effect of "you must custom fabricate something". they said it was not an issue with the manual tranny. Weird. I did some other research and it looks like tomken and skidrow sell an after market skid plate.

I wonder if this common on the auto tranny as I did a boatload or reading up and never saw a post regarding it. Perhaps most run manual tranny. Would have went manual, but in SoCal, auto is necessary unless you want a left leg the size of a tree trunk. :)

Reply to
ULB

I would just cut the stock plate to work. If the money isn't a problem then get the new skid plate.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I know folks that have had to notch the skid plate for their lift to work.

When your pinion is set up properly, you should be able to do 85+ mph with no vibrations at all. If you have vibrations, you 'will' break something. They are from parts jamming up, not a good thing....

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Okay, so I finished (sorta), installing my 4.5" Rubicon lift short arm.
Reply to
Mike Romain