Teraflex TJ Gas Tank Skid Plate

Well, I'm finally looking at a gas tank skid plate for my '98 TJ. A local

4X store has the Teraflex skid plate for $125. Has anyone had experience with the Teraflex? It just seems like a very good deal compaed to $170 + shipping for the Tomken and $225 + shipping for the Kilby.

Thanks!

Reply to
Ted Wilson

On 07 Jan 2004 08:12 PM, Ted Wilson posted the following:

Unless they have updated their design, I don't think the teraflex skid has protection for the sides of the tank.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Reply to
David C. Moller

That is exactly what I did. I bought my Tomken before Brad came out with his, then when it got bashed enough I replaced it with the Kilby - which is of much higher quality.

Reply to
jbjeep

Del's right, if it's still open on the sides, it's junk. I have one, and it is beat to hell. Flimsy metal and no rigidity due to the open sides. My next one will be a Kilby.

I like my Teraflex lift, but stay away from their skidplates, they are not rigid enough.

I have their belly-up transfer case skid plate as well, and Tellico sure enough put some bends into it. Thick metal, but no reinforcements - I had to weld some on myself.

My steering box skid was beat up pretty bad also, so I got the Kilby steering box - mainly to get a look at his work. I really like it.

JJ

Unless they have updated their design, I don't think the teraflex skid has protection for the sides of the tank.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

JJ

Does the Tomken also increase the clearance? I was reading about one of the skidplates remounting the tank a little and getting up to 1.5" of extra clearance. This and the rear bumper are the only two things I ever seem to hit.. but I hit them consistently.

A 1" body lift probably won't help the gas tank though I haven't taken flopped under the Jeep long enough to look at where everything is laid out.

-Myk '99 TJ Sport

Reply to
DragonRider

I have a tomken gas tank skid plate. The only modification I did was to drill more holes into the bottom off the plate for drainage. I had to remove it one day and there was a ton of mud in it. I drill some extra holes in it and now the pressure washer cleans it right out. Make sure the holes you drill do not comprise the design!

Reply to
Snowboardripper

No. As far as I am aware only the Kilby will give you the increased clearance. The reason for this is most of the skid plates bolt on over the stock skid (like the Tomken does). To install the Kilby you remove the stock skid and drop the tank. The skid then becomes what holds the tank up too.

Reply to
jbjeep

You also might consider drilling the holes with the plate off the Jeep...

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Kilby's the way to go. You gain about 1" of clearance, it has decent drain holes to help ward off the inevitable rust and it's pretty darn heavy.

Reply to
Ichabod Shagnasti

I think someone already answered, but no. The Tomken actually decreases your clearance a tad since you just slap it on right over the stock assembly. The Kilby is the one where you drop the tank for install, and it ends up increasing your clearance from what I've heard.

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller

On 08 Jan 2004 06:27 PM, David C. Moller posted the following:

I went with the Tomken skid because I didn't want to go to the trouble of dropping the tank. It seems to work okay; I drag it once in a while but it hasn't been a major problem so far.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

As huge a deal as it sounds, dropping the tank on a TJ isn't really a big deal. A helper and a floor jack are recommended. Installation of my Kilby took less than an hour, including the time it took to chip away all the mud from my tank.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Agreed. It isn't terribly difficult to drop it. The main thing is to get it as empty as you can.

Reply to
Ichabod Shagnasti

Do you do a lot of big rock?

Thats how I bashed my Tomken to death. Just the extra inch or so makes a difference out there sometimes.

Reply to
jbjeep

On 09 Jan 2004 09:27 AM, jbjeep posted the following:

No, not really.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Thanks to both! I just need to get the Kilby and a decent suspension lift (say, 2.5" and a 1" body) and all should be well with the world. :)

Reply to
DragonRider