High Idle on '88 Cherokee

My '88 Cherokee has a problem with what feels like a stuck choke, except that its fuel injection. When I start it, the RPMs go to about 2000, then, instead of falling to something more reasable, they continue to rise to maybe 2500. After a few minutes, I can shut it off and it'll then climb to 2000, and drop back to 500-800, and often stall unless I feather the gas a bit. After a minute or so it'll even out. Other times when I start it, it behaves just fine. It seems to be temperature related.

I was thinking that maybe a sensor is bad. I unplugged the cold start injector but the RPMs didn't decrease.

Any help would be appreaciated.

Thanks.

-bob-

Reply to
F. Robert Falbo

Our Cherokee did exactly that 3 years ago. It was a dirty connection on the TPS or throttle position sensor. I unplugged it and cleaned the contacts with a spray cleaner, WD40 works and it was perfect for 2 years. I had to clean it again last summer.

Mike

"F. Robert Falbo" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

There is no such animal on a 88 XJ.

Most likely a bad TPS or TPS connection.

Reply to
bllsht

Oops! It was the plug right next to the TPS. The Haynes manual didn't ID it, so I guessed it might be a coldstart function.

Thanks. I checked the connection, and it looked fine, but it still could have had something interferring, so if it does it again, I'll work a bit more on the female connector. If that doesn't work, I'll probably replace the TPS.

-bob-

Reply to
F. Robert Falbo

Thanks Mike. I got the same answer from another guy, so I checked the connection. It looks fine but the springee function of the female side may be weak after 16 years, so if it continues to malfunction, I'll tighten the female side, and if that doesn't work, replace the TPS.

-bob-

Reply to
F. Robert Falbo

Mine looked really clean too....

They are a low power computer connection, it takes very little to mess them up.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

that would most likely be the IAC (idle air controller)- it's just another thing to clean ;) if you have a few minutes, you can pull the throttle body, remove and clean the sensors, then spray some carb cleaner (or TB cleaner) through the TB to remove deposits. Note that if you have an automatic, your TPS will have 2 connectors- one for the engine computer, and one for the transmission computer. the IAC will have its own connector.

Reply to
Chuck Bremer

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Bill, thanks for updating my terminology- still used to my old Nissan, I guess ;)

I only mentioned cleaning the idle stepper due to the fact that there may be uneven buildup on the pintle seat, tricking the computer into thinking that it's closed all the way, when in fact there may be air getting past it, resulting in a high idle.

i've made cleaning the TB on my '87 XJ (and checking the related sensors) a normal maintenance item every 6 months or so.

Reply to
Chuck Bremer

Yeah, but the 88 came with the French Rennault/AMC MPI FSM which calls it the Idle Air Control .

When you clean that sucker, remove it and clean the shaft and p> Hi Chuck,

Reply to
Will Honea

Will Honea did pass the time by typing:

Just don't remove the shaft from the motor or it's farked. (so sayeth the service book anyhoo)

Reply to
DougW

I missed that the first time thru and turned the engine over with the IAC hanging loose - that damned pintle came out of there like a bullet! Fortunately, all the parts wound up in a towel laying under it but it took a fair amount of fiddling to get it back together - it CAN be done. I echo your comments - DON'T. The other thing that will get you totally screwed up is moving the idle stop screw that sets the minimum closure for the butterfly. I never did find a spec for the minimum throttle plate spacing - finally went out and measured one to get mine back to where it belonged.

Reply to
Will Honea