how to adjust idle on 88 celica gt

I want to adjust the idle up from 650 rpm (where it currently vibrates like crazy) to 1000 rpm, where it's super smooth. Is this something i can attempt myself, and can anyone tell me how? Thanks, Adam

Reply to
burnergordon

Idle on that 3SFE is not intended to be adjusted. There is an air bypass screw under a black rubber plug on the throttlebody, however if you turn it out to increase idle rpm, the ECM will just compensate over time with the ISC controller. You could have a bad engine mount(s)... on newer Celicas it is common for the mount near the timing cover to cause a heavy vibration at high mileage/high age. Being a 1988. I would suspect that mount simply due to extreme age even though the '88 style isn't historically as bad about failing.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Why not just fix the problem? A tune up including a distributor cap and rotor can do it wonders. Vibration can be a bad mount too, but something still has to set it off.

Mike

Mike Romain

I assure you that a properly running 3SFE in a Camry or Celica of that vintage will vibrate badly in gear if the passenger side mount is collapsed. Its not as much of a problem on the 86 to 89 Celicas due to the design used in that year range, but still a strong possibility.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

'In gear'???

Well if he has an automatic, he 'sure' doesn't want to boost the idle way up then, that will cook things.

I was just thinking in neutral. If an automatic, I would check out the mounts first.

Mike

Mike Romain

Why not in gear? The OP didn't state stick or auto. I see more autos in that model so I gave a likely culprit based on experience. Yeah, if it is running rough under no load I would suspect a fuel or ignition problem too. I haven't exerienced those engines idle no load

Reply to
Comboverfish

"Something still has to set it off" ?????????????????????????? I have customers come in all the time wanting tuneup work because their engine is "running rough" at idle. 95% of the time the cause is vibration transmitted through the motor mounts AND NOTHING ELSE. A bad cap and/rotor would cause plenty of problems above 650 RPM. On Toyotas we always look at the mount at the timing cover first. We check it by putting a block of wood under the oil pan and jacking up the engine slightly. When the collapsed, bottomed-out mount is unloaded the vibration decreases radically. Don

Don

Yep, I prefer using a large prybar placed under the right mount bracket, fulcrum point on the radiator support area with a rag for paint protection. It's a little quicker than the jack and block method.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

If I am sitting there with the hood open and see an engine 'vibrating like crazy' and up the idle to 1000 rpm and it stops vibrating, I think tune up, especially the cap and rotor or maybe a bad plug or wire. Folks forget about cap and rotors too often though, so I start there.

Now if the fool is loading up the torque converter on an automatic to smooth out the 'idle' like comboverfish implies, then I would think mount.

Reply to
Mike Romain