99 Sentra High Rpm While In "park"

I have a 99 Nissan Sentra 1.6L with automatic engine and 125K miles.

When I start up the engine and while in "PARK", the engine RPMs climb to around

1,400-1,500 RPMs and remain there, until I turn the A/C on, the RPMs drop to about 1,000.

Then, when I put the vehicle into "DRIVE" the RPMs drop to around

1,000 (without the A/C on), but drop to around 800 when I turn it on.

:confused: Can anyone tell me what could be wrong? :confused:

I just replaced the spark plugs, wire set, and rotor.

Thanks!

Reply to
latinman

Exactly Al, when I turn on the engine and let it warm up for at least

5-10 mins., the RPMs will remain in the 1400-1500 RPMs range. The RPM will not drop even after fully warmed up, only when I put engine in DRIVE then RPMs drop to around 1000 RPM.

Thanks for your reply, I'll check those items out.

Reply to
latinman

Something is wrong with the wire that opens the air/fuel mixture, it is set too short (or set to widely-open the gate). It's normal to see the RPM dropping when AC is engaged because AC takes horse power away, when your car's power is not being used it is turning faster. You got to adjust this air/fuel control wire to idle your engine as low as possible, about 600-700 is best so you car will consume less fuel.

I went through this cycle many times, I'm almost sure of this problem.

Reply to
Tim