How hard to change A/C compressor clutch on TJ?

This appears to be the problem I've been having with my A/C. Dealer quotes me $227 for the clutch- ouch! Is this something a shadetree guy could do himself? Do I need some kind of puller to get it off the compressor?

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Jeff,

Bill may have just saved you a bunch of money, you would have otherwise spent buying the excellent manual he has.

I just experience a problem with the cluth in my Jeep. In my case, the AC woulf run fine for about 20 minutes of cycling, then the clutch would fail to engage.

It turned out that the clutch plate had warped, and would rock to one side instead of fully engaging. I bought a clutch/compressor from the local salvage yard for $100 with a lifetime warranty, and just swapped the clutch plate with the one from the salvage unit, and kept the rest for the next failure. With 3 Jeeps it probably won't be long...

Gerald

Reply to
GCooper

That pdf is very helpful to the problem I am having too. Do you have the whole manual? What year does it cover? I have a '97 TJ and would love to have the whole manual in electronic format vs. paper.

Shawn

Reply to
Endo

Reply to