How is the new six speed transmission for Wrangler?

Are there any bugs they are working out? Better MPG on highway?

Reply to
69strat

Just more parts to break in my opinion....

They hit the wall a while back on mileage. Not much one can do to improve the aerodynamics of a brick....

Mike

69strat wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I agree. What it really needs, is a transmission with a granny gear.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

With big enough engines even a brick will fly.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Billy Ray did pass the time by typing:

Da.

DougW

Looks like a copy of the C-5 with a lowered tailplane.

Reply to
Billy Ray

The thing I don't like about it is if you go from 4th to 6th, you can hit reverse if you aren't careful. They need a lock out on reverse so it won't go into reverse if you are moving forware. It is also odd to shift into 5th to pass people. btw I have the Rubicon Unlimited, so it has the 4.11 (i know it isn't really 4.11) Dana 44 axles.

Patrick ?Ô

Reply to
Patrick Ô¿Ô

Reply to
Rich

I have had five speed wranglers. What's the six speed for? More top end or a lower crawl?

I have 31's and 3.73. Fifth is good for highway but not a lot of top end with that.

Reply to
69strat

I cant tell since I went from 3.07 five speed with 31's to the 4.11 six speed with about the same size tire. I do know i can pass in 5th, and 6th will work at any speed above 40 without much problem. in 6th I am doing about 50 MPH at 2000 RPMs.

Patrick ?Ô

Reply to
Patrick Ô¿Ô

To quote an article in the November issue of HOTROD magazine, about the new modular GM six-speed auto that is coming out this fall,

"The more gears in the transmission, the wider the potential ratio range from First to the top gear can be without causing the engine rpm to drop too low between shifts. The wider the transmission's ratio range, the easier it is to combine a low First gear to launch the car with a steep top gear for overdrive cruising. GM engineers estimates that the wide ratio will help to reduce the 0-60 times by as much as 7%.

BMW and Mercedes already offer a seven speed auto (and soon an eight) to keep the relatively low torque, overhead cammed engines in the fat part of their powerbands."

It is an interesting read.

Reply to
Jeff White

I think the 7 speed is only available in the BMW M5 and M6, which have 500hp @ 7750rpm and 383lb ft at 6100 ; I bet that engine gives a reasonable torque figure even at lower revs.

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Actually Ludwigsburg was founded in the early 1700's not 1935...

Reply to
matthewf_boi

It's a "Utility Vehicle", not a sports car. Imho, durability and reliability are more important than a steep top gear for overdrive cruising, and five or six smooth shifts to get you there. But as is obvious, I do not work for any marketing or engineering department.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

It is beginning to sound like a truck transmission... Ya know a standard "H" pattern with a "W" in the middle, and a "T" on the end.

Reply to
Billy Ray

I should have included more of the article. The "relatively low torque" statement was comparing the low-end torque of the european engines with the American V-8s. The Z-06 Corvette specs are 503hp @ 6300 rpm and 637lb.ft. @ 4800 rpm. The Dodge Magnum with the hemi specs at 340hp @ 5000 rpm and 390lb.ft. @

4000rpm. The Cadillac CTS has 400hp @ 6000rpm and 395lb.ft. @ 4400rpm.

Reply to
Jeff White

Audi engines hit their torque plateau between 1800-2000 rpm and redline well over 6000 rpm and as opposed to American engines that start making funny noises above 3500 rpm they will run happily all day at 6000 rpm.

For example: The 4.2 liter engine (254 cid) produces 480 hp at 6000 rpm and 413 lbft torque at 1950 rpm

0-62 mph 4.6 seconds, 0-124 mph 17.3 seconds
Reply to
Billy Ray