'93 Grand cherokee start problem.

Hello all,

sorry for the late response. I broke my arm and busy at work.

I still have a problem starting my ZJ. When it is cold it just starts fine. When it is at "operating temp" it will not start. When it is kinda warm it will start, but very rough, like it is out of fuel and then it dies. ( I replaced all sparkplugs, sparkplug wires, cap+rotor and fuelfilter. I cleaned the throttlebody and idle control motor/plunger.

To me it seems like a sensor that's broken ? The engine is at operating temp and the pcm doesn't know that ? I unplugged a few sensors to see what happens. like the map sensor, tps, the idle control motor... and the motor will run rough for a bit. When I unplug the "intake manifold air temp sensor" nothing happens (but maybe that's normal)

any ideas what it could be (and in case of a sensor check/test it) ?

thanks,

Ron

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg

Did you inspect and clean the TPS sensor connections?

What engine?

Why did you break your arm? That is a pretty drastic way to get a few days off work.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Hi,

Actualy that tps sensor came to mind. it seems like the same symptom when I floor the accelerator pedal and try to start it. I disconnected all the sensors to see what happened, and of course the pcm is full of codes now. I'll clean the tps sensor connections and see what's going on (what do I use on the plugs ? carburator cleaner, break cleaner ?

**S broke my arm by trying to plug in the garagedoor opener. *S* The builder contractor did something wron. I stood on a big plastic tote instead of a ladder, tote collapsed arm broke. (and then I found out that a ladder is way less expensive then x-rays at the hospital)

I'll check the tps sensor, thanks.

Ron

Billy Ray wrote:

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg

The article talks about an xj, zj's (early ones) have the same problem ?

(Is the tdc sensor located on front of the engine, near the crankshaft ? and ... how easy is it to replace it ?)

thanks,

Ron

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg

Ron Croonenberg proclaimed:

Yes. And later Grands.

For the 4.0 On the driver side at the back of the engine...at the flywheel area just a bit to the fender side of the cover.

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Except for those models where it is on the driver's side. You can see it from the top but is easier accessed from the bottom

Reply to
Billy Ray

Contact cleaner. sometimes it will scrape the contacts clean just taking it on and off a couple times but the cleaner does a better job.

Actually I meant to say the TDC sensor.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Ah..ok...

Well..I looked. the sensor itself is on te driver side it seems (it looks like the same thing as in the shop mnual. However I see the wires go from the sensor, over te bell housing the the passenger side where there is a connector that hooks it up to the harness ?

thanks,

Ron

Billy Ray wrote:

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg

Well.... could be. Most of the other references have it on the passenger side and I sure gave a good look there for it.

After taking a break and looking around underneath we found it on the driver's side and the wiring ran up to a connector on the intake manifold.

Billy Ray

Thanks for the pic.

I have that connector too. and the cable from that one runs to the passenger side and plugs into the harness. (I am pretty sure it does)

Ron

Billy Ray wrote:

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg

the setup in my ZJ looks like the one in the pics sent by Bill Hughes.

Well.... could be. Most of the other references have it on the passenger

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg

WD40 will work as a contact cleaner also. The real stuff from an electronics store is better though.

Mike

Billy Ray wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Ron Croonenberg did pass the time by typing:

Most will, that's my ZJ with the 42RE transmission. That one connects by the dipstick tube on the passenger side.

That is the other one, there were two transmissions that year.

your correct, that sensor will be connected by the manifold. This will give you some ideas on how to get that sucker out.

DougW

ah..ok...

was it a lot of fun replacing that one ? (I think I might try the poor mans diagnostic with multimeter first)

Ron

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg

Ron Croonenberg did pass the time by typing:

Yep. Loads. Actually it wasn't that bad but it did take time figuring out how to get the tools in there and on that bolt without dropping them in my face more than a couple of times.

I took those measurements just for grins. The best measurement would be with a digital o-scope. But not everyone has those tools at hand.

've been wanting to record what the pulses look like but otherthings have taken priority.

Reply to
DougW