I smell gas!

OK, I have only had my 94 YJ for just over a week now and had nothing but problems so far. The latest being this... I filled it up totally full today and ever since then, I smell gas. Not only outside, but on the inside as well and its pretty strong!

I had a look underneath, but it does not appear to be leaking. I can't imagine something like this is normal, or even safe. Can anyone out there tell me if they have had this problem, if this is a "Jeep thing" or if maybe recommend a quick fix? It has had enough going on in just

10 days and I don't want to have to spend a bunch of cash at the mechanic to fix it if I dont have to.

Thanks!

Reply to
tinak

This is not a "Jeep thing" but a leaky vent hose or malfunctioning evaporative emissions system. There is a filter on the charcoal cannister that is worth cleaning or maybe even replacing. There may be a split hose underneath. It does sound like a job for someone with a modicum of mechanical knowledge. When you buy a new car, you pay through the nose for something that you imagine will be trouble free. When you buy a used car, you (should) get a discount for taking someone else's troubles off his hands. That money properly belongs to your mechanic.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Hey, Thanks for the help! Do you think that one of your aforementioned problems would happen only on a full tank? Until I filled it right up today, I was not having this problem.

I really hear ya on the used car thing. However, I have never had a vehicle that had something new go wrong everyday, from day one. So far everything has been relatively minor and just a matter of TLC, for the most part or a easy fix. However, if it continues to "nickel and dime" me, I'll just sell it. I just dont know enough about Jeep to know what is characteristic or not. This discussion group and people like you are really helping me to get up to speed! Thanks again for your help :)

Reply to
tinak

aforementioned

I had the same problem with my '82 when I first bought it. The fill pipes were split. Take a look there first. Otherwise, take a look at some of the vent lines on the top of the gas tank itself. Worst case, you'll end up dropping the tank. If you do it when your tank is nearly empty, it should be a pretty easy job - those tanks weigh next to nothing.

As long as you have a backup car to get you where you need to go, you should look into buying the service manual and doing most of the work yourself. That's about the only way to get a car much more than six or seven years old fixed correctly. Otherwise, you run the relatively high risk of getting a vehicle back in worse shape than when you brought it in.

Michael

Reply to
michael.white

On 29 Jan 2007 22:20:48 -0800 in , "tinak" graced the world with this thought:

The problem I have on a full tank is gas leaking out of the filler tube at the cap--and I can smell it in and out of the Jeep

Reply to
bizbee

I had the same problem with my '94YJ. My gas smell was mostly in the back near the filler and seemed to be worse when I filled up (at least in my mind). I discovered that there was a recall on the sending unit gasket on the top of the tank so I bought one of the kits from the dealer that included a reinforced bracket to go along with a new gasket. Dropped the tank, listen to Michael.White about that and buy the repair manual. Turns out it wasn't the gasket at all but the rubber lines going into and out of the filter which is located just above the left rear tire on the inside of the frame. Don't give up on the YJ yet, it's a good vehicle. Good luck. H-S-F

Reply to
Help-Slip-Franklin

Yep, had the same thing happen on mine. The hose rots out and weeps enough gasoline to make it smell pretty strong. That and the tank had a pinhole rusted through at the top/rear. Filling the tank raised the level enough to leak from the pinhole and sit in the hose long enough to seep. Dropping the tank isn't a tough job, just unwieldy.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Thanks Eveyone... On your advice, I now have a repair manual on order (and a great backyard mechanic to do the work) As well, the smell has subsided a bit now that the tank has gone down some, but still really strong at the back. We are going to look at all the options mentioned here as soon as the manual comes. And yes, in keeping with tradition so far, something new went on it today. The pull handle on the driver door broke off. An easy fix, once I get the right tork screw driver to change it. Off to the wrecker tomorrow...

Reply to
tinak

On my '89 YJ there is a rollover valve located in a small compartment on the rear passenger side. There is a plastic cover behind the rear wheel that you can remove. You have to look up and inside once you remove the panel. There is a cheap plastic valve that broke twice on my '89. See if you have the same thing on your '94. Joe

Reply to
Joe C